Radiation Fears Prompt Russia To Bar More Than 100 Used Cars From Japan
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 6, 2014 3:43 PM EST
Rospotrebnadzor, the country's consumer watchdog agency, said it is very much concerned about the unsettled contaminated water leaks that continue to spring out from Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant.
The 132 used cars were part of 165 batches of contaminated goods that were denied to enter Russia. Aside from the cars, there were also vehicle spare parts.
Russia has likewise implemented strict monitoring on incoming fish deliveries from Japan, particularly those caught in the Pacific Ocean.
"Particular attention is paid to this issue in Russia's Far East, where radiation control of fish is being wieldy implemented, including the distribution chain," Rospotrebnadzor said in its Web site. This meant that Japanese food imports are prohibited to be brought to Russia unless these have official papers issued by a relevant and competent Japanese body. The papers must state that any level of radioactive substances is below the required norm established by the Customs Union of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan.
The agency noted all Japanese food products undergo a compulsory check for radioactive cesium.
So far, the country has not received any fish or other food products that "don't meet sanitary regulations on radiation indicators," the agency said.
The Fukushima nuclear power plant got crippled in March 2011 after a massive 9.0 strong magnitude earthquake shook the country which sent off a corresponding tsunami that eventually hit the nuclear facility.
Situated 250 kilometres from Tokyo, Japan's capital city, the plant's operator TEPCO did not acknowledge that tons of contaminated water had leaked into the Pacific Ocean from the Fukushima plant until July 2013. Moreover, TEPCO failed to control such leakages.
Rospotrebnadzor said the strict monitoring of all cargos coming from Japan will continue in 2014.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans