'The Hunger Games', 'The Hobbit' other Films to watch out for this 2014 [VIDEOS/PHOTOS]
By charmaine corne clutton | January 6, 2014 3:43 PM EST
2014 is definitely the year for kick-*ss, brilliantly-filmed movies. For most moviegoers, people can expect more sequels of box-office hit flicks. Here's a list of the top 5 movies you have to look forward to this Lucky Year of the Horse:
The Monuments Man
When: February 7
If you love war-themed movies especially historically accurate ones, then this movie is definitely for you. The star-studded film featuring George Clooney alongside Matt Damon, John Goodman and Bill Murray are sure to make you clench your fists to your chair. The storyline is about World War II platoons museum curators who sought to restore Nazi stolen art. The film is said to have been aired supposedly last year, though due to the difficulty with regard to special effects, the crew had to put it off in 2014.
WHY SHOULD YOU WATCH IT: Stolen art is undeniably one of the most notorious, ambiguous yet unresolved war crimes in the 21st century. If you need more information about this sad, sad sorry state of affairs, The Monuments Man is definitely the one for you.
The Amazing Spider-man 2
WHEN: May 2
Real life partners Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are heating things up on the big screen with the sequel to their blockbuster hit Spiderman. With the sequel, Peter Parker finds himself embroiled once again in his never ending crime-fighting obligations. Parker has to balance things out with his high school sweetheart Gwen Stacy. Parker has to face the Russian mobster, The Rhino, who is equipped with a powersuit that wreaks much havoc.
WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH IT: Comic readers aside, the special effects and the sweet rapport of Stone and Garfield are definitely going to sweep you off your feet.
X-Men Days of Future Past
When: May 23
If you are on the other side of the fence, (if you're a DC fan) then this movie is definitely for you. The mind numbing and special effects are definitely going to make any avid X-Men fan weak in the knees. Director Bryan Singer, also the genius behind the 2011's "X-Men First Class" and 2006's "X-Men The Last Stand," adeptly combines confusing plot twists in one masterpiece.
WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH IT: The reunion of X-Men characters is enough to make you watch it on the big screen.
The Fault in Our Stars
When: June 6
Sure you've come across John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. The tear-jerker film is about teenager Hazel who is terminally-ill with cancer who eventually falls in love with charming Augustus as she joins a support group. The overlaying themes of death and love play smoothly in the movie.
WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH IT: With abstract notions like death and love, only Hazel and Gus can make it relatable to the audience.
When: August 15
Lois Lowry's classic young-adult book The Giver shows a utopian community that gives all of its painful and excruciating memories to a chosen citizen. But when 12 year old protagonist Jonas takes up the role of that chosen citizen, he decides that life is more meaningful with those memories. The contention is now to choose if he'd preserve his community's blissful blind spot in their memories.
WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH IT: If Meryl Streep alongside Jeff Bridges aren't enough to pull you to the cinemas (something must be wrong with you too), then maybe Taylor Swift who plays Rosemary in the film would seal the deal?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu