5 Reasons Why ‘Dracula’ TV Series May be Cancelled
By Sachin Trivedi | January 6, 2014 3:32 PM EST
There is a lot of talk about the possibility that the NBC TV show "Dracula" may get cancelled. The producers may have expected good response but the show has not lived up to the expectations of many fans. Here is a look at 5 reasons why the show may get cancelled.
Reason 1: Are they "Dracula" and Van Helsing?
Fans of the "Dracula" and Van Helsing characters have a certain image in mind when they hear these names. One goes around sucking the blood of beautiful young women and is looking to win over the hearts of a girl who looks like his long lost love and the other hunts vampires down.
The "Dracula" TV series portrays the vampire as an anti hero who wishes to take on the corrupt elite and save the world. But at the same time Jonathan Rhys Meyers is seen killing innocent women to satisfy his blood thirst. Has this portrayal left viewers a little confused emotionally towards the character? Is "dracula" an evil creature or a champion of mankind?
Van Helsing is seen more like "Dracula's" personal physician and a bit like a mad scientist, instead of a cross bow wielding vampire hunting action figure that many fans expect from the character.
Reason 2: Where are the Powers?
One of the main attractions to the "Dracula" character is the power that the character wields, like the ability to create mist, turning into a bat and the power to hypnotise people. Are the supernatural powers shown in the TV series been too low key for the viewers?
Reason 3: Science and Politics
Viewers for long have associated "Dracula" with the struggle of good against evil and the character is normally portrayed as someone who rejects God. This is usually the main theme of most of the vampire stories, movies and TV shows.
The experiment by NBC of making science and politics, especially of electricity and oil may not have been accepted by many viewers. Have the viewers rejected to see "Dracula" as a successful businessman, instead of a count who lives in castle?
Reason 4: Cast
Perhaps the producers should have considered a younger cast, especially to play sexual roles like Lady Jayne Wetherby played by Victoria Smurfit. Many fans do appluade the talent of Victoria Smurfit for her acting but have the producers cast her in a wrong role?
Reason 5: Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Perhaps the biggest concern for the producers would be the availability and performance of Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The actor reportedly has problems with alcoholism and substance abuse.
In spite of the growing negative feedback, the show does have a few supporters. Many even applaud the bold experiment of reimagining "Dracula" from a very different angle. But not all experiments tend to succeed. Will the show be cancelled eventually? This is a question in the minds of many fans.
More Articles to Read
Game of Thrones Season 4 Production Update: Another Big Battle Directed by Neil Marshall [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery