From 'American Idol' to Politics: Does Clay Aiken Have It in Him to Be a Winner?
By nidhi tewari | January 6, 2014 3:08 PM EST
From "American Idol" runner up to politics, Clay Aiken has come a long way. The remarkable singer, who came close to winning the most popular reality show in 2003, is now considering politics. Aiken is considering a bid for Congress in North Carolina, according to various news agencies. He will use his skills for winning the votes at the reality show to something better now!
According to The Washington Blade newspaper, the "American Idol" runner-up from 2003 has been in talks with the people from politics (read Betsy Conti) to consider his stint about contesting from North Carolina 2nd congressional district.
The 35-year-old has reportedly consulted Conti, who is a political strategist and worked for Al Gore and former North Carolina governor Bev Purdue. Aiken, who declared himself gay and came to limelight, might consider to contest from the seat which now is held by second term Republican Renee Ellmers.
So what are his chances to win? Well to be true, Aiken does have it in him to be a winner. More importantly, he has been a supporter for LGBT issues for quite some time now and this guarantees him the votes from that community atleast. He came out as a gay in 2008 and even expressed his views about anti-gay bullying in Capitol Hill in 2010.
The Raleigh, North Carolina resident has worked on various charitable causes too including being the founding member of the National Inclusion Project which advocates for children with disabilities. What's more, Aiken was appointed to the Presidential Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities by President George W. Bush in 2006. So the guy, who stood second to Ruben Stoddard on American Idol in 2003, has already been preparing to be there.
He is already on the minds of Americans because of his television stint in "American Idol." He is in public memory as a winner. That, coupled with his charities work and support for LGBT community, makes him a perfect candidate to contest. What do you think?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?