From 'American Idol' to Politics: Does Clay Aiken Have It in Him to Be a Winner?
By nidhi tewari | January 6, 2014 3:08 PM EST
From "American Idol" runner up to politics, Clay Aiken has come a long way. The remarkable singer, who came close to winning the most popular reality show in 2003, is now considering politics. Aiken is considering a bid for Congress in North Carolina, according to various news agencies. He will use his skills for winning the votes at the reality show to something better now!
According to The Washington Blade newspaper, the "American Idol" runner-up from 2003 has been in talks with the people from politics (read Betsy Conti) to consider his stint about contesting from North Carolina 2nd congressional district.
The 35-year-old has reportedly consulted Conti, who is a political strategist and worked for Al Gore and former North Carolina governor Bev Purdue. Aiken, who declared himself gay and came to limelight, might consider to contest from the seat which now is held by second term Republican Renee Ellmers.
So what are his chances to win? Well to be true, Aiken does have it in him to be a winner. More importantly, he has been a supporter for LGBT issues for quite some time now and this guarantees him the votes from that community atleast. He came out as a gay in 2008 and even expressed his views about anti-gay bullying in Capitol Hill in 2010.
The Raleigh, North Carolina resident has worked on various charitable causes too including being the founding member of the National Inclusion Project which advocates for children with disabilities. What's more, Aiken was appointed to the Presidential Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities by President George W. Bush in 2006. So the guy, who stood second to Ruben Stoddard on American Idol in 2003, has already been preparing to be there.
He is already on the minds of Americans because of his television stint in "American Idol." He is in public memory as a winner. That, coupled with his charities work and support for LGBT community, makes him a perfect candidate to contest. What do you think?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast