From 'American Idol' to Politics: Does Clay Aiken Have It in Him to Be a Winner?
By nidhi tewari | January 6, 2014 3:08 PM EST
From "American Idol" runner up to politics, Clay Aiken has come a long way. The remarkable singer, who came close to winning the most popular reality show in 2003, is now considering politics. Aiken is considering a bid for Congress in North Carolina, according to various news agencies. He will use his skills for winning the votes at the reality show to something better now!
According to The Washington Blade newspaper, the "American Idol" runner-up from 2003 has been in talks with the people from politics (read Betsy Conti) to consider his stint about contesting from North Carolina 2nd congressional district.
The 35-year-old has reportedly consulted Conti, who is a political strategist and worked for Al Gore and former North Carolina governor Bev Purdue. Aiken, who declared himself gay and came to limelight, might consider to contest from the seat which now is held by second term Republican Renee Ellmers.
So what are his chances to win? Well to be true, Aiken does have it in him to be a winner. More importantly, he has been a supporter for LGBT issues for quite some time now and this guarantees him the votes from that community atleast. He came out as a gay in 2008 and even expressed his views about anti-gay bullying in Capitol Hill in 2010.
The Raleigh, North Carolina resident has worked on various charitable causes too including being the founding member of the National Inclusion Project which advocates for children with disabilities. What's more, Aiken was appointed to the Presidential Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities by President George W. Bush in 2006. So the guy, who stood second to Ruben Stoddard on American Idol in 2003, has already been preparing to be there.
He is already on the minds of Americans because of his television stint in "American Idol." He is in public memory as a winner. That, coupled with his charities work and support for LGBT community, makes him a perfect candidate to contest. What do you think?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown