Season's Worst Fog Delays Flights and Trains
By Karuna Chandwani | January 6, 2014 2:48 PM EST
The blanket of dense fog on the national capital New Delhi continued to occlude flight and railway operations for a second day on Monday due to poor visibility.
According to CNN-IBN, at least 90 flights at the Indira Gandhi International Airport were delayed or cancelled as there was only one open runway at the terminal on Monday morning.
Dense fog delays flights in Delhi
The airport experienced a complete shutdown at around 1 am, leading to suspension of flight operations, as Delhi was witnessing the season's worst fog in past four years with the visibility dropping to an almost nil, below the mandatory 50 metres.
Visibility remained below 100 meters till 3 am and affected hundreds of flights, resulting in a chaos at Terminal 3 of the airport.
As per the meteorological department of Delhi the visibility is likely to improve to 500 meters with shallow fog after 9 am on Monday morning. Even trains to and from the national capital have reportedly been delayed by more than 24 hours.
The met department predicts that visibility in the national capital is likely to reduce below 50 meters again from 1 pm onwards and experience dense fog after 4 pm.
Besides Delhi, poor visibility due to foggy conditions was reported in Jaipur, Lucknow, Bhubaneswar, Patna, Vizag and Guwahati that disrupted the flight operations.
Delhi experienced the second spell of thick fog on Sunday evening. The fog became denser after 9.30 pm slowing the road traffic with visibility less than 10 metres in some areas, reported NDTV.
With maximum visibility staying at less than 600 metres through Sunday, around 206 flights got delayed and with no relief expected till tomorrow, which those planning to travel may have to face difficulties. Nearly 150 domestic and international flights had been affected, causing inconvenience to passengers.
Meanwhile, Kashmir Valley received fresh snowfall, including in Gulmarg, Kokernag, Srinagar, Kupwara. Temperature dipped nine notches below normal in Srinagar at -2.0 degree Celsius.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance