Australia’s Perth Covered in Smog Haze from Bushfires, Threat to Life and Property Alert On
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 6, 2014 2:23 PM EST
Officials have warned residents in Western Australia, particularly Perth, to take necessary precautions against the smog haze currently enveloping the state. The smoke emanated from a bushfire that started on Friday. Authorities have issued a corresponding alert versus life and property.
Motorists have been advised to turn on headlights and travel at appropriate speeds as the smog haze may greatly reduce visibility on some roads.
People afflicted with asthma and other existing health problems such as respiratory or cardiovascular illnesses as well as diabetes are advised to seek medical advice on how to cope with these circumstances.
Residents are likewise advised to shut doors and windows in their homes, as well as turn off air-conditioners.
Believed to have started due to "deliberate lighting," the blaze started in bushland in Mount Roe National Park at 4pm (WST) on Friday. The area is 30 kilometres northwest of Denmark in the Great Southern region.
The Department of Parks and Wildlife is hopeful the smoke will clear out by Monday.
Moving at a moderate speed in a northwesterly direction, the bushfire has burnt through 13,300 hectares.
An earlier issued watch and act alert remains in place for those residing in the western part of the Shire of Plantagenet, east of Clear Hills Road, south of Muir Highway and west of Pile and Springs roads.
"There remains a possible threat to lives and homes, as a fire in the area is still burning and conditions are changing," the Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaW) said.
DPaW said neighbouring properties and bushland could get engulfed in fires from burning embers blown by the wind.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop