Australia’s Perth Covered in Smog Haze from Bushfires, Threat to Life and Property Alert On
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 6, 2014 2:23 PM EST
Officials have warned residents in Western Australia, particularly Perth, to take necessary precautions against the smog haze currently enveloping the state. The smoke emanated from a bushfire that started on Friday. Authorities have issued a corresponding alert versus life and property.
Motorists have been advised to turn on headlights and travel at appropriate speeds as the smog haze may greatly reduce visibility on some roads.
People afflicted with asthma and other existing health problems such as respiratory or cardiovascular illnesses as well as diabetes are advised to seek medical advice on how to cope with these circumstances.
Residents are likewise advised to shut doors and windows in their homes, as well as turn off air-conditioners.
Believed to have started due to "deliberate lighting," the blaze started in bushland in Mount Roe National Park at 4pm (WST) on Friday. The area is 30 kilometres northwest of Denmark in the Great Southern region.
The Department of Parks and Wildlife is hopeful the smoke will clear out by Monday.
Moving at a moderate speed in a northwesterly direction, the bushfire has burnt through 13,300 hectares.
An earlier issued watch and act alert remains in place for those residing in the western part of the Shire of Plantagenet, east of Clear Hills Road, south of Muir Highway and west of Pile and Springs roads.
"There remains a possible threat to lives and homes, as a fire in the area is still burning and conditions are changing," the Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaW) said.
DPaW said neighbouring properties and bushland could get engulfed in fires from burning embers blown by the wind.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions