Australia’s Perth Covered in Smog Haze from Bushfires, Threat to Life and Property Alert On
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 6, 2014 2:23 PM EST
Officials have warned residents in Western Australia, particularly Perth, to take necessary precautions against the smog haze currently enveloping the state. The smoke emanated from a bushfire that started on Friday. Authorities have issued a corresponding alert versus life and property.
Motorists have been advised to turn on headlights and travel at appropriate speeds as the smog haze may greatly reduce visibility on some roads.
People afflicted with asthma and other existing health problems such as respiratory or cardiovascular illnesses as well as diabetes are advised to seek medical advice on how to cope with these circumstances.
Residents are likewise advised to shut doors and windows in their homes, as well as turn off air-conditioners.
Believed to have started due to "deliberate lighting," the blaze started in bushland in Mount Roe National Park at 4pm (WST) on Friday. The area is 30 kilometres northwest of Denmark in the Great Southern region.
The Department of Parks and Wildlife is hopeful the smoke will clear out by Monday.
Moving at a moderate speed in a northwesterly direction, the bushfire has burnt through 13,300 hectares.
An earlier issued watch and act alert remains in place for those residing in the western part of the Shire of Plantagenet, east of Clear Hills Road, south of Muir Highway and west of Pile and Springs roads.
"There remains a possible threat to lives and homes, as a fire in the area is still burning and conditions are changing," the Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaW) said.
DPaW said neighbouring properties and bushland could get engulfed in fires from burning embers blown by the wind.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install