Australia’s Perth Covered in Smog Haze from Bushfires, Threat to Life and Property Alert On
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 6, 2014 2:23 PM EST
Officials have warned residents in Western Australia, particularly Perth, to take necessary precautions against the smog haze currently enveloping the state. The smoke emanated from a bushfire that started on Friday. Authorities have issued a corresponding alert versus life and property.
Motorists have been advised to turn on headlights and travel at appropriate speeds as the smog haze may greatly reduce visibility on some roads.
People afflicted with asthma and other existing health problems such as respiratory or cardiovascular illnesses as well as diabetes are advised to seek medical advice on how to cope with these circumstances.
Residents are likewise advised to shut doors and windows in their homes, as well as turn off air-conditioners.
Believed to have started due to "deliberate lighting," the blaze started in bushland in Mount Roe National Park at 4pm (WST) on Friday. The area is 30 kilometres northwest of Denmark in the Great Southern region.
The Department of Parks and Wildlife is hopeful the smoke will clear out by Monday.
Moving at a moderate speed in a northwesterly direction, the bushfire has burnt through 13,300 hectares.
An earlier issued watch and act alert remains in place for those residing in the western part of the Shire of Plantagenet, east of Clear Hills Road, south of Muir Highway and west of Pile and Springs roads.
"There remains a possible threat to lives and homes, as a fire in the area is still burning and conditions are changing," the Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaW) said.
DPaW said neighbouring properties and bushland could get engulfed in fires from burning embers blown by the wind.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Climate Change Is Eating Away The Great Barrier Reef
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Two Moons Hoax Surfaces Again: Debunked By Scientists, Twitter Explodes With Reactions
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide