Bruno Mars: Most Pirated Artist for 2013
By Jesselle Maminta | January 6, 2014 1:21 PM EST
Bruno Mars's songs are among the most downloaded songs via illegal sources, making him the most pirated artist for the year 2013.
According to the latest study by Musicmetric, the RnB singer's songs had nearly 5.8 million downloads, followed by fellow RnB artist Rihanna with 5.4 million downloads.
Australian band Daft Punk landed at third place with its songs having 4.2 million downloads, followed by Justin Timberlake and Flo Rida with 3.9 million and 3.5 million downloads respectively.
Rounding up the top ten artists as listed down by Musicmetric are: Kanye West with 3.19 million downloads, Eminem and Jay-Z who both have 3.17 million downloads each, and finally Drake and Pitbull who have 3.13 million downloads each.
Musicmetric's statistics were based on their downloads made via BitTorrent, a protocol for peer-to-peer file sharing that enables the transfer of large files. But while this protocol is mostly used for illegal downloads, Billboard notes that not all downloads via BitTorrent are pirated.
'Some artists, notably Death Grips and Pretty Lights, make their music available for free using BitTorrent,' writes Billboard.
Musicmetric's EVP Daniel Savage says that piracy is on a decline although this year-end list shows that it is still alive and well.
'Previous research that we've done indicates that the increased availability of music via streaming is a contributing factor,' says Savage.
Earlier last week, TorrentFreak lists down the most illegally-downloaded TV series, where Game of Thrones was at the top of the list. The rest of the top pirated TV shows include Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theory, Vikings and The Arrow.
Meanwhile, Bruno Mars wrapped up the year 2013 with a performance at the grand opening of Chelsea Hotel in Las Vegas. He went back to the yesteryears with songs from Elvis Presley ('Jailhouse Rock') and Michael Jackson ('The Way You Make Me Feel'). He is also set to perform at the half-time show of the Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales