Bruno Mars: Most Pirated Artist for 2013
By Jesselle Maminta | January 6, 2014 1:21 PM EST
Bruno Mars's songs are among the most downloaded songs via illegal sources, making him the most pirated artist for the year 2013.
According to the latest study by Musicmetric, the RnB singer's songs had nearly 5.8 million downloads, followed by fellow RnB artist Rihanna with 5.4 million downloads.
Australian band Daft Punk landed at third place with its songs having 4.2 million downloads, followed by Justin Timberlake and Flo Rida with 3.9 million and 3.5 million downloads respectively.
Rounding up the top ten artists as listed down by Musicmetric are: Kanye West with 3.19 million downloads, Eminem and Jay-Z who both have 3.17 million downloads each, and finally Drake and Pitbull who have 3.13 million downloads each.
Musicmetric's statistics were based on their downloads made via BitTorrent, a protocol for peer-to-peer file sharing that enables the transfer of large files. But while this protocol is mostly used for illegal downloads, Billboard notes that not all downloads via BitTorrent are pirated.
'Some artists, notably Death Grips and Pretty Lights, make their music available for free using BitTorrent,' writes Billboard.
Musicmetric's EVP Daniel Savage says that piracy is on a decline although this year-end list shows that it is still alive and well.
'Previous research that we've done indicates that the increased availability of music via streaming is a contributing factor,' says Savage.
Earlier last week, TorrentFreak lists down the most illegally-downloaded TV series, where Game of Thrones was at the top of the list. The rest of the top pirated TV shows include Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theory, Vikings and The Arrow.
Meanwhile, Bruno Mars wrapped up the year 2013 with a performance at the grand opening of Chelsea Hotel in Las Vegas. He went back to the yesteryears with songs from Elvis Presley ('Jailhouse Rock') and Michael Jackson ('The Way You Make Me Feel'). He is also set to perform at the half-time show of the Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- ‘Star Wars’ 7 Plot Leak: Chrome Stormtrooper Commander and Trooper May Guard The New Villain
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown