iPhone 6 Features to Include Enhanced TouchID Fingerprint Sensor, Suggests New Apple Patent
By Kristin Dian Mariano | January 6, 2014 1:09 PM EST
The upcoming iPhone 6 may include an improved Touch ID fingerprint scanner, according to a new Apple patent.
A bunch of patents picked up by Patently Apple suggests that Apple may be developing the technology to further enhance its famous security feature. Apple is rumoured to include far-field sensors in the fingerprint scanner. This will improve the quality of the user-captured fingerprint, at least in theory. The sensors, which could be located inside the touch screen or into a control device, could also determine the orientation of the user's finger during scan. The improved TouchID fingerprint sensor could be adopted by other Apple devices like Mac computers and iPod Touch, according to the information on the patent.
Concept-Phones/Ran Avni & Hass
Rumours were rife that Apple is toying with the idea of a phablet-sized iPhone 6 that has an edgy design on release date. Yet a new concept of the device refused to just ditch the revered iPhone profile.
Another patent suggested that the fingerprint sensor will be combined with Global Positioning System (GPS). This could be beneficial to parents tracking their children or relatives. Patently Apple also commended the rumoured upgrade on the feature and suggested that these features can be innovated so that elderly people can make 911 calls using their fingerprints if they need help.
Apple's patent also explained that this feature can track people on house arrest. But Michelle Jones of ValueWalk thinks it will also give NSA more technology to track people's move.
Another significant improvement that can be developed for the fingerprint sensor is its ability to record and identify unauthorised users through their fingerprints. This is beneficial to users whose phones are stolen, as they will be able to identify the culprit based on such information.
Apple still has not confirmed which particular enhancements on the fingerprint sensor, if any, will arrive in the upcoming handset or the iPhone 6 features, in general. There are rumours that suggest that Apple may add an eye scanner to further improve the smartphone's security, but these have not been confirmed yet.
Other iPhone 6 rumoured features include a larger screen display, A8 processor and iOS 8. Other Apple patents also suggest some possible iPhone 6 specs such as a curved or flexible screen embedded by durable material called liquidmetal, a refocusable light camera, an improved Siri as well as gesture control.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists