NBA Trade News: Courtney Lee to Memphis, Jerryd Bayless to Boston
By James Patrick Quizon | January 6, 2014 12:33 PM EST
With rumours abounding as the NBA trade deadline is roughly a month away, an actual trade will go down in the next few days. Albeit a minor one, the exchange has a big effect on two of the franchises involved.
NBA: Golden State Warriors at Memphis Grizzlies
The Boston Celtics is set to send shooting guard Courtney Lee to the Memphis Grizzlies for point guard Jerryd Bayless according to Marc Stein of ESPN.COM.
Lee has averaged 7.4 points, 1.6 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 26.8 minutes for Boston this season. The Celtics (13-20) are pegged as of the rebuilding teams this year and unloading the 28-year-old guard and his $16.4M contract makes sense for the Celtics.
Bayless has done his part as a back-up to starting PG Mike Conley but has been inconsistent most of the 30 games played this season. The 25-year-old five-year pro averaged 8.0 points, 1.9 rebounds and 2.0 assists in just over 20 minutes for the Grizzlies. The five-year pro has an expiring $3.1M contract after this season.
After the deal is done, the post-trade depth will look like below:
PG - Jordan Crawford/Jerryd Bayless/Phil Pressey/Rajon Rondo
SG - Avery Bradley/MarShon Brooks
SF - Jeff Green/Gerald Wallace/Keith Bogans
PF - Brandon Bass/Kris Humphries
C - Jared Sullinger/Kelly Olynyk/Vitor Faverani
PG - Mike Conley/Nick Calathes/Seth Curry
SG - Tony Allen/Courtney Lee/Mike Miller/Jamaal Franklin
SF - Tayshaun Prince/James Johnson/Quincy Pondexter
PF - Zach Randolph/Jon Leuer
C - Kosta Koufus/Ed Davis/Marc Gasol
For the Celtics (13-20), the acquisition of Bayless means not only they’ll add a legit point guard but they will save over $10M by unloading Lee’s three-year deal. Meanwhile, the Grizzlies (15-18) will add depth to their wing rotation already featuring the likes of Prince, Allen, Johnson and Pondexter and Lee will certainly help in their mission to return to the postseason.
Both teams are still missing key starters in Gasol and Rondo.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June