Lorde Meets David Bowie, Tauts Her as The 'Voice of Tomorrow'
By Jesselle Maminta | January 6, 2014 11:23 AM EST
What could be more motivating than words of encouragement from David Bowie?
Lorde gushes to Tavi Gevinson of Rookie magazine about meeting the English singer-songwriter and receiving words of encouragement from him. The Kiwi singer mentions 'meeting with David Bowie' to Tavi when asked about moments which makes her think her life has gone full circle.
''I don't want to do the weird name-dropping thing, but like... Meeting David Bowie was like that. To have someone like that tell you that listening to you felt like listening to tomorrow.''
''(F)or some reason we were holding hands and just staring into each other's eyes and talking, and I was like, This is David Bowie's hand, what am I doing? It was insane. A beautiful moment. I was like... I could creatively die and just be happy forever,'' gushes Lorde to Tavi.
Lorde, or Ella Yellich O'Connor in real life, also says she has not told everyone about that moment 'because it meant so much to me, and I feel like it would be dulled or something if I always talked about it in magazines or whatever. It's my special thing.'
Besides David Bowie, she also goes fangirl mode on the band Phoenix and, get this, Kanye West.
''First of all, I just really like the music that he makes, apart from anything else. I've been listening to it since I was a little kid. I think his ability to evolve from album to album and still make something that I think is really incredible is super cool,'' says Lorde.
Finally, Lorde shares to Tavi her advice to aspiring songwriters like she was four years ago.
''(I)f you are writing on your own, have someone whose opinion you really trust and who cares about what you're doing and isn't gonna judge you in a weird way,' shares Lorde. 'Send them stuff, ask them what they think, but try not to get too hung up on what other people think, because at the end of the day if you think something's cool and everyone else thinks it sucks then you've still made something which you're proud of.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies