Lorde Meets David Bowie, Tauts Her as The 'Voice of Tomorrow'
By Jesselle Maminta | January 6, 2014 11:23 AM EST
What could be more motivating than words of encouragement from David Bowie?
Lorde gushes to Tavi Gevinson of Rookie magazine about meeting the English singer-songwriter and receiving words of encouragement from him. The Kiwi singer mentions 'meeting with David Bowie' to Tavi when asked about moments which makes her think her life has gone full circle.
''I don't want to do the weird name-dropping thing, but like... Meeting David Bowie was like that. To have someone like that tell you that listening to you felt like listening to tomorrow.''
''(F)or some reason we were holding hands and just staring into each other's eyes and talking, and I was like, This is David Bowie's hand, what am I doing? It was insane. A beautiful moment. I was like... I could creatively die and just be happy forever,'' gushes Lorde to Tavi.
Lorde, or Ella Yellich O'Connor in real life, also says she has not told everyone about that moment 'because it meant so much to me, and I feel like it would be dulled or something if I always talked about it in magazines or whatever. It's my special thing.'
Besides David Bowie, she also goes fangirl mode on the band Phoenix and, get this, Kanye West.
''First of all, I just really like the music that he makes, apart from anything else. I've been listening to it since I was a little kid. I think his ability to evolve from album to album and still make something that I think is really incredible is super cool,'' says Lorde.
Finally, Lorde shares to Tavi her advice to aspiring songwriters like she was four years ago.
''(I)f you are writing on your own, have someone whose opinion you really trust and who cares about what you're doing and isn't gonna judge you in a weird way,' shares Lorde. 'Send them stuff, ask them what they think, but try not to get too hung up on what other people think, because at the end of the day if you think something's cool and everyone else thinks it sucks then you've still made something which you're proud of.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales