Lorde Meets David Bowie, Tauts Her as The 'Voice of Tomorrow'
By Jesselle Maminta | January 6, 2014 11:23 AM EST
What could be more motivating than words of encouragement from David Bowie?
Lorde gushes to Tavi Gevinson of Rookie magazine about meeting the English singer-songwriter and receiving words of encouragement from him. The Kiwi singer mentions 'meeting with David Bowie' to Tavi when asked about moments which makes her think her life has gone full circle.
''I don't want to do the weird name-dropping thing, but like... Meeting David Bowie was like that. To have someone like that tell you that listening to you felt like listening to tomorrow.''
''(F)or some reason we were holding hands and just staring into each other's eyes and talking, and I was like, This is David Bowie's hand, what am I doing? It was insane. A beautiful moment. I was like... I could creatively die and just be happy forever,'' gushes Lorde to Tavi.
Lorde, or Ella Yellich O'Connor in real life, also says she has not told everyone about that moment 'because it meant so much to me, and I feel like it would be dulled or something if I always talked about it in magazines or whatever. It's my special thing.'
Besides David Bowie, she also goes fangirl mode on the band Phoenix and, get this, Kanye West.
''First of all, I just really like the music that he makes, apart from anything else. I've been listening to it since I was a little kid. I think his ability to evolve from album to album and still make something that I think is really incredible is super cool,'' says Lorde.
Finally, Lorde shares to Tavi her advice to aspiring songwriters like she was four years ago.
''(I)f you are writing on your own, have someone whose opinion you really trust and who cares about what you're doing and isn't gonna judge you in a weird way,' shares Lorde. 'Send them stuff, ask them what they think, but try not to get too hung up on what other people think, because at the end of the day if you think something's cool and everyone else thinks it sucks then you've still made something which you're proud of.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- Nude Photo Leak: Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens, Hope Solo Latest Victims Of Hacking Attack, Twitter Explodes With Reactions 'Not' In Support Of Kardashian -- Reports
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter