Lorde Meets David Bowie, Tauts Her as The 'Voice of Tomorrow'
By Jesselle Maminta | January 6, 2014 11:23 AM EST
What could be more motivating than words of encouragement from David Bowie?
Lorde gushes to Tavi Gevinson of Rookie magazine about meeting the English singer-songwriter and receiving words of encouragement from him. The Kiwi singer mentions 'meeting with David Bowie' to Tavi when asked about moments which makes her think her life has gone full circle.
''I don't want to do the weird name-dropping thing, but like... Meeting David Bowie was like that. To have someone like that tell you that listening to you felt like listening to tomorrow.''
''(F)or some reason we were holding hands and just staring into each other's eyes and talking, and I was like, This is David Bowie's hand, what am I doing? It was insane. A beautiful moment. I was like... I could creatively die and just be happy forever,'' gushes Lorde to Tavi.
Lorde, or Ella Yellich O'Connor in real life, also says she has not told everyone about that moment 'because it meant so much to me, and I feel like it would be dulled or something if I always talked about it in magazines or whatever. It's my special thing.'
Besides David Bowie, she also goes fangirl mode on the band Phoenix and, get this, Kanye West.
''First of all, I just really like the music that he makes, apart from anything else. I've been listening to it since I was a little kid. I think his ability to evolve from album to album and still make something that I think is really incredible is super cool,'' says Lorde.
Finally, Lorde shares to Tavi her advice to aspiring songwriters like she was four years ago.
''(I)f you are writing on your own, have someone whose opinion you really trust and who cares about what you're doing and isn't gonna judge you in a weird way,' shares Lorde. 'Send them stuff, ask them what they think, but try not to get too hung up on what other people think, because at the end of the day if you think something's cool and everyone else thinks it sucks then you've still made something which you're proud of.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]