iPhone 6 Release Date Delayed to September; New Phablet Coming in May 2014 - Report
By Kristin Dian Mariano | January 6, 2014 11:18 AM EST
iPhone 6 concept
According to a recent report from Yahoo! Japan, an iPhone with bigger screen display will be coming sometime in May. The smartphone will spearhead a new iPhone line. Meanwhile, the full-fledged iPhone 6 and iPhone 5S successor are bound to arrive in September.
The report added that the phablet will not probably come with Apple's upcoming A8 SoC but will be equipped with iPhone 5S' 64-bit A7 processor. There are also very few details revealed on the screen display. All we know is that the screen size could be 5.7 inches or bigger, based on the rumours.
Packing a 5.7-inch screen, reports are speculating that Apple may be thinking of entering the battlefield in the phablet market that is currently dominated by its rivals like Samsung. If rumours proved to be true, Apple's alleged phablet will battle head on with the Samsung Galaxy Note series and HTC One Max.
This rumour is backed by earlier reports. One is from Chinese Web site C Technology citing Foxconn insiders who said that there will be two iPhones coming this year - one with a 4.7-inch screen and another with a 5.7-inch display, or bigger. Another report from NPD DisplaySearch published last November mentioned that Apple might release the iPhone 6 in two versions.
Apple is still mum on the ongoing rumours about iPhone 6, but the company's chief exec teased the consumers that Apple has "big plans" this year.
Meanwhile, some of the iPhone 6 rumoured features, aside from the bigger screen display, are A8 processor and iOS 8. The screen display may be also strengthened by sapphire glass covering. Apple patents also hinted on possible iPhone 6 features including a curved or flexible screen embedded with durable material called liquidmetal, a refocusable light camera, an improved Siri as well as gestures control.
The handset will also probably retain the TouchID fingerprint sensor first seen in iPhone 5S, but the company could further enhance the security of the device by improving the sensor or packing an eye scanner as rumours suggest.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast