Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Pacman Has Intention To Part Ways With Bob Arum To Save Fight With Floyd Mayweather
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 6, 2014 2:36 AM EST
Filipino boxing champ Manny Pacquiao is willing to end his relationship with Top-Rank promoter Bob Arum in order to arrange a showdown with pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2015, the Examiner reported on Friday.
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao attends a training session at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau
Pacquiao, who has been the main star of Top-Rank Promotions for almost a decade, did not have a second thought on parting ways with Arum and negotiate with Mayweather's camp as a free-agent.
"Floyd has also been saying that he will only fight me if I separate from Top Rank and Bob Arum," Pacquiao said during an interview with Phil Boxing writer Eddie Alinea via the Examiner.
"That's impossible because my contract is still valid this year. That means, if I don't renew my contract, we can talk next year. Floyd has been telling the whole world this and that's okay with me," the eight-time division world champion said.
Arum, Pacquiao Split Coming
Pacquiao's contract with Top-Rank promotions will expire at the end of 2014. After that, the Pacman has the option to renew his association with Arum or become a free agent and eventually pursue a fight with Mayweather in 2015.
At age 35, Pacquiao admitted that he has few years left in the ring before he finally hangs his gloves. The Filipino fighter has already secured his place in the Boxing Hall of Fame, but no fight in the business that would enhance his legacy than a showdown with Mayweather.
Another reason for Pacquiao to go a different direction is the money at the stake in the mega-showdown. Arum stated that Pacquiao vs. Mayweather clash could generate by as much as $300 million. Unfortunately for Arum, he won't get even a single sent from the bout if Pacquiao decides to part ways with him.
With tax problems haunting the Filipino champ, it will be hard for Pacquiao to let the Mayweather fight slip away in perhaps the final full year of his career.
What's Coming in 2014?
According to Top Rank, Pacquiao's next opponent will be revealed soon with Ruslan Provodnikov and Timothy Bradley the frontrunner for his April bout. On the other hand, Money May has yet to pick his upcoming foe but Amir Khan remained the favorite to win the sweepstakes. Marcos Maidana, on the other hand, is considered the wildcard for the Mayweather showdown.
For more Manny Pacquiao Next Fight news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy