Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Pacman Has Intention To Part Ways With Bob Arum To Save Fight With Floyd Mayweather
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 6, 2014 2:36 AM EST
Filipino boxing champ Manny Pacquiao is willing to end his relationship with Top-Rank promoter Bob Arum in order to arrange a showdown with pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2015, the Examiner reported on Friday.
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao attends a training session at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau
Pacquiao, who has been the main star of Top-Rank Promotions for almost a decade, did not have a second thought on parting ways with Arum and negotiate with Mayweather's camp as a free-agent.
"Floyd has also been saying that he will only fight me if I separate from Top Rank and Bob Arum," Pacquiao said during an interview with Phil Boxing writer Eddie Alinea via the Examiner.
"That's impossible because my contract is still valid this year. That means, if I don't renew my contract, we can talk next year. Floyd has been telling the whole world this and that's okay with me," the eight-time division world champion said.
Arum, Pacquiao Split Coming
Pacquiao's contract with Top-Rank promotions will expire at the end of 2014. After that, the Pacman has the option to renew his association with Arum or become a free agent and eventually pursue a fight with Mayweather in 2015.
At age 35, Pacquiao admitted that he has few years left in the ring before he finally hangs his gloves. The Filipino fighter has already secured his place in the Boxing Hall of Fame, but no fight in the business that would enhance his legacy than a showdown with Mayweather.
Another reason for Pacquiao to go a different direction is the money at the stake in the mega-showdown. Arum stated that Pacquiao vs. Mayweather clash could generate by as much as $300 million. Unfortunately for Arum, he won't get even a single sent from the bout if Pacquiao decides to part ways with him.
With tax problems haunting the Filipino champ, it will be hard for Pacquiao to let the Mayweather fight slip away in perhaps the final full year of his career.
What's Coming in 2014?
According to Top Rank, Pacquiao's next opponent will be revealed soon with Ruslan Provodnikov and Timothy Bradley the frontrunner for his April bout. On the other hand, Money May has yet to pick his upcoming foe but Amir Khan remained the favorite to win the sweepstakes. Marcos Maidana, on the other hand, is considered the wildcard for the Mayweather showdown.
For more Manny Pacquiao Next Fight news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers