Historic Chill to Grip US
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 5, 2014 10:46 PM EST
The deep freeze that is going to engulf much of the US states starting Sunday is likely to be historic and record setting.
If you live in Midwest, New England and even the South, be prepared to wake up on Sunday morning to a temperature you might have never experienced in your whole life.
A driver works to dig a car out of the snow during a winter nor'easter snow storm in Boston, Massachusetts January 3, 2014.
The frigid air that has now heightened fears of frostbite and hypothermia, will sweep across the states on Sunday and will extend into the week after, various meteorological sources have said.
Residents will experience some of the coldest weather to grip the region in almost two decades, while blizzard conditions are still expected in the Great Lakes region and Central Plains, forecasters said.
"The last really big Arctic outbreak was 1994," Bob Oravec, a forecaster with the National Weather Service told Reuters. "Outbreaks like this don't occur every day."
The push of Arctic air will bring along a blast of cold temperatures from Montana to Michigan. It will then move towards the Northeast, where it will arrive by early Tuesday.
Temperature in Pittsburgh is expected to be minus 20 Fahrenheit (24 degree Celsius below zero) while Chicago will shiver in 11 degrees below zero (minus 29 Celsius).
In parts of the north central US, temperatures were forecast to fall 30 degrees below on early Sunday morning. Wind chills in Grand Forks, North Dakota were expected to exceed 50 below.
Forecasters have warned that at those temperatures, exposed skin can easily get frostbitten within matters of minutes and hyperthermia can quickly set in.
A total of 1,266 flights were cancelled across the United States and a further 6,036 flights delayed on Saturday, as the country dug up piles of record setting snow accumulation at the wake of a deadly snow storm. Chicago's O'Hare International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey were among the most affected according to FlightAware.com.
The record-setting cold that will set in at the wake of the first major snow storm of the year will leave many schools affected in the United States. All public schools in Minnesota will remained closed while officials have advised parents of Chicago school children to "use their own discretion in deciding whether to sent their child to school". Schools will remain closed in Nashville, Tennessee till Wednesday, local officials said.
Officials in Kentucky, which will wake up to 20 cm of snow and freezing temperatures, have been warning residents to avoid outdoor activities.
With inputs from Reuters
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change