'Veeram' Box Office: Will Ajith Starrer Break 'Arrambam' Collections?
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 5, 2014 7:32 PM EST
Ajith's much-awaited film "Veeram" is all set to hit the screens on 10 January.
Directed by "Siruthai" Siva, "Veeram" is an action-packed, mass entertainer with all the commercial elements - action, comedy, romance and punch dialogues. After working in urban subjects, Ajith has returned to do a masala entertainer set in the backdrop of a village.
The actor, who was sporting stylish suits in films such as "Billa" and "Mankatha", will be seen in dhoti in "Veeram." He has also retained his salt and pepper look, which became popular in "Manakatha."
Expectations are high for "Veeram" as the film carries a positive pre-release buzz. The action entertainer is releasing just over two months after blockbuster flick "Arrambam" hit the screens. The stylish action film, which released on 31 October, turned out to be one of the biggest hits of 2013.
"Arrambam" gave Ajith his best ever opening despite getting released on a non-holiday (31 October). The film raked in around ₹8.75 crore (nett) on the first day at the Tamil Nadu box office and its collections from other areas including Kerala, Karnataka and North stood at ₹1.55 crore. The film's total opening day figures (India) amounted to approximately ₹10.30 crore.
"Arrambam" faced strong competition from other Diwali releases including "Pandiya Nadu" and "Krrish 3", but it still managed to sustain its momentum at the box office. The Ajith starrer reportedly grossed around ₹80 crore in three weeks at the worldwide box office. The Telugu version of the film titled "Aata Arrambam" also did average business.
The success of "Arrambam" reiterated the fact that Ajith is the king of box office, whose presence alone can bring in good revenues for the film.
Following the stupendous success of "Arrambam", the focus has shifted to "Veeram." The film's music, which was released last month, received luke-warm response. However, the film's teasers and trailers have generated a lot of hype about its content.
The Ajith starrer is set for a massive release worldwide and it is likely to take a fantastic opening on the first day of its release. But, it remains to be seen if the action entertainer will be able to break "Arrambam" collections, considering that the film will be facing strong competition from other Pongal releases including "Jilla" (Tamil), "1 Nenokkadine" (Telugu) and "Yevadu" (Telugu).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 29, 2014: Brooke Must Decide If She Will Continue With Her Plans Of Marrying Bill [WATCH VIDEO]
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate