'Veeram' Box Office: Will Ajith Starrer Break 'Arrambam' Collections?
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 5, 2014 7:32 PM EST
Ajith's much-awaited film "Veeram" is all set to hit the screens on 10 January.
Directed by "Siruthai" Siva, "Veeram" is an action-packed, mass entertainer with all the commercial elements - action, comedy, romance and punch dialogues. After working in urban subjects, Ajith has returned to do a masala entertainer set in the backdrop of a village.
The actor, who was sporting stylish suits in films such as "Billa" and "Mankatha", will be seen in dhoti in "Veeram." He has also retained his salt and pepper look, which became popular in "Manakatha."
Expectations are high for "Veeram" as the film carries a positive pre-release buzz. The action entertainer is releasing just over two months after blockbuster flick "Arrambam" hit the screens. The stylish action film, which released on 31 October, turned out to be one of the biggest hits of 2013.
"Arrambam" gave Ajith his best ever opening despite getting released on a non-holiday (31 October). The film raked in around ₹8.75 crore (nett) on the first day at the Tamil Nadu box office and its collections from other areas including Kerala, Karnataka and North stood at ₹1.55 crore. The film's total opening day figures (India) amounted to approximately ₹10.30 crore.
"Arrambam" faced strong competition from other Diwali releases including "Pandiya Nadu" and "Krrish 3", but it still managed to sustain its momentum at the box office. The Ajith starrer reportedly grossed around ₹80 crore in three weeks at the worldwide box office. The Telugu version of the film titled "Aata Arrambam" also did average business.
The success of "Arrambam" reiterated the fact that Ajith is the king of box office, whose presence alone can bring in good revenues for the film.
Following the stupendous success of "Arrambam", the focus has shifted to "Veeram." The film's music, which was released last month, received luke-warm response. However, the film's teasers and trailers have generated a lot of hype about its content.
The Ajith starrer is set for a massive release worldwide and it is likely to take a fantastic opening on the first day of its release. But, it remains to be seen if the action entertainer will be able to break "Arrambam" collections, considering that the film will be facing strong competition from other Pongal releases including "Jilla" (Tamil), "1 Nenokkadine" (Telugu) and "Yevadu" (Telugu).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best