'Veeram' Box Office: Will Ajith Starrer Break 'Arrambam' Collections?
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 5, 2014 7:32 PM EST
Ajith's much-awaited film "Veeram" is all set to hit the screens on 10 January.
Directed by "Siruthai" Siva, "Veeram" is an action-packed, mass entertainer with all the commercial elements - action, comedy, romance and punch dialogues. After working in urban subjects, Ajith has returned to do a masala entertainer set in the backdrop of a village.
The actor, who was sporting stylish suits in films such as "Billa" and "Mankatha", will be seen in dhoti in "Veeram." He has also retained his salt and pepper look, which became popular in "Manakatha."
Expectations are high for "Veeram" as the film carries a positive pre-release buzz. The action entertainer is releasing just over two months after blockbuster flick "Arrambam" hit the screens. The stylish action film, which released on 31 October, turned out to be one of the biggest hits of 2013.
"Arrambam" gave Ajith his best ever opening despite getting released on a non-holiday (31 October). The film raked in around ₹8.75 crore (nett) on the first day at the Tamil Nadu box office and its collections from other areas including Kerala, Karnataka and North stood at ₹1.55 crore. The film's total opening day figures (India) amounted to approximately ₹10.30 crore.
"Arrambam" faced strong competition from other Diwali releases including "Pandiya Nadu" and "Krrish 3", but it still managed to sustain its momentum at the box office. The Ajith starrer reportedly grossed around ₹80 crore in three weeks at the worldwide box office. The Telugu version of the film titled "Aata Arrambam" also did average business.
The success of "Arrambam" reiterated the fact that Ajith is the king of box office, whose presence alone can bring in good revenues for the film.
Following the stupendous success of "Arrambam", the focus has shifted to "Veeram." The film's music, which was released last month, received luke-warm response. However, the film's teasers and trailers have generated a lot of hype about its content.
The Ajith starrer is set for a massive release worldwide and it is likely to take a fantastic opening on the first day of its release. But, it remains to be seen if the action entertainer will be able to break "Arrambam" collections, considering that the film will be facing strong competition from other Pongal releases including "Jilla" (Tamil), "1 Nenokkadine" (Telugu) and "Yevadu" (Telugu).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories