'Veeram' Box Office: Will Ajith Starrer Break 'Arrambam' Collections?
By sangeetha seshagiri | January 5, 2014 7:32 PM EST
Ajith's much-awaited film "Veeram" is all set to hit the screens on 10 January.
Directed by "Siruthai" Siva, "Veeram" is an action-packed, mass entertainer with all the commercial elements - action, comedy, romance and punch dialogues. After working in urban subjects, Ajith has returned to do a masala entertainer set in the backdrop of a village.
The actor, who was sporting stylish suits in films such as "Billa" and "Mankatha", will be seen in dhoti in "Veeram." He has also retained his salt and pepper look, which became popular in "Manakatha."
Expectations are high for "Veeram" as the film carries a positive pre-release buzz. The action entertainer is releasing just over two months after blockbuster flick "Arrambam" hit the screens. The stylish action film, which released on 31 October, turned out to be one of the biggest hits of 2013.
"Arrambam" gave Ajith his best ever opening despite getting released on a non-holiday (31 October). The film raked in around ₹8.75 crore (nett) on the first day at the Tamil Nadu box office and its collections from other areas including Kerala, Karnataka and North stood at ₹1.55 crore. The film's total opening day figures (India) amounted to approximately ₹10.30 crore.
"Arrambam" faced strong competition from other Diwali releases including "Pandiya Nadu" and "Krrish 3", but it still managed to sustain its momentum at the box office. The Ajith starrer reportedly grossed around ₹80 crore in three weeks at the worldwide box office. The Telugu version of the film titled "Aata Arrambam" also did average business.
The success of "Arrambam" reiterated the fact that Ajith is the king of box office, whose presence alone can bring in good revenues for the film.
Following the stupendous success of "Arrambam", the focus has shifted to "Veeram." The film's music, which was released last month, received luke-warm response. However, the film's teasers and trailers have generated a lot of hype about its content.
The Ajith starrer is set for a massive release worldwide and it is likely to take a fantastic opening on the first day of its release. But, it remains to be seen if the action entertainer will be able to break "Arrambam" collections, considering that the film will be facing strong competition from other Pongal releases including "Jilla" (Tamil), "1 Nenokkadine" (Telugu) and "Yevadu" (Telugu).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet