Goa Building Collapse: 12 People Still Trapped Under Debris
By Karuna Chandwani | January 5, 2014 3:50 PM EST
At least 12 people are still trapped inside an under-construction building, which collapsed in Canacona town of Goa on Saturday, killing 13 workers.
An excavator is used to move debris as rescue workers search through rubble at the site of a collapsed residential building in Mumbai. (Reuters)
A portion of the five-storey Ruby Residency in Canacona town, nearly 73 kilometers from capital city Panaji, collapsed while approximately 40 people were working at the site.
View Larger Map
The mishap killed 13 workers and at least 11 were injured. However, more than a dozen were trapped in the debris when the Indian Army were called in to help with the relief and rescue operations.
"Eleven dead bodies have been recovered and 2 more dead bodies seen inside rubble. There at least 12 people still inside," Lt Col Amrish Kumar, who is leading the rescue operations, told ANI.
No less than 450 troops were deployed late last evening at the construction site, which have now been reduced to 150. Lt Col Kumar said that 17 people have been rescued so far.
As per NDTV reports, real estate firm Bharat Developers and Realtors Pvt Ltd, based in Mumbai, was carrying out the construction work.
Upon hearing about the mishap, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar announced that an FIR has been lodged against the builder, contractor and municipal engineer in-charge.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- Canadian Rapist, Convicted for Killing 2-Year-Old Girl, Murdered in Prison
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015