World War II Bomb Detonates After 68 Years in Germany, One Killed
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 4, 2014 6:50 PM EST
A World War II era bomb detonated in a German town of Euskirchen, killing one and injuring several others, 68 years after the end of the war.
Television footage from the scene showed the wreckage of the surrounding area
Euskirchen is situated in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW), which is Germany's most populous state.
A driver of a bulldozer was killed after his machine accidentally touched the unexploded bomb that remained buried underneath the earth for decades, the Associated Press reported.
The blast injured 13 other people in the periphery, two critically; while the powerful explosion damaged homes within a radius of 400 meters from the detonation.
Television footage from the scene showed the wreckage of the bulldozer and the nearby houses damaged with their roofs and doors blown off.
"During excavations...the digger uncovered a wartime bomb, which exploded. The driver was killed, and several others close to the digger were hurt. Two are seriously injured and six lightly," Police spokesman Norbert Hardt said.
"The blast caused significant damage, also in neighbouring streets where glass and garage doors were blown out."
Hundreds of war-time bombs are still uncovered in Germany every year, although many of them are successfully defused or detonated in safe places. In November, 20,000 people had to be moved out of Dortmund when police uncovered a 4000-pound bomb of the Allied forces. It was later defused before anyone was hurt.
About 2000 bombs have been found until now in Berlin alone, according to National Geographic. 706 bombs were defused in 2012, 239 of which weighed more than 50 kilos, Reuters reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family