World War II Bomb Detonates After 68 Years in Germany, One Killed
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 4, 2014 6:50 PM EST
A World War II era bomb detonated in a German town of Euskirchen, killing one and injuring several others, 68 years after the end of the war.
Television footage from the scene showed the wreckage of the surrounding area
Euskirchen is situated in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW), which is Germany's most populous state.
A driver of a bulldozer was killed after his machine accidentally touched the unexploded bomb that remained buried underneath the earth for decades, the Associated Press reported.
The blast injured 13 other people in the periphery, two critically; while the powerful explosion damaged homes within a radius of 400 meters from the detonation.
Television footage from the scene showed the wreckage of the bulldozer and the nearby houses damaged with their roofs and doors blown off.
"During excavations...the digger uncovered a wartime bomb, which exploded. The driver was killed, and several others close to the digger were hurt. Two are seriously injured and six lightly," Police spokesman Norbert Hardt said.
"The blast caused significant damage, also in neighbouring streets where glass and garage doors were blown out."
Hundreds of war-time bombs are still uncovered in Germany every year, although many of them are successfully defused or detonated in safe places. In November, 20,000 people had to be moved out of Dortmund when police uncovered a 4000-pound bomb of the Allied forces. It was later defused before anyone was hurt.
About 2000 bombs have been found until now in Berlin alone, according to National Geographic. 706 bombs were defused in 2012, 239 of which weighed more than 50 kilos, Reuters reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools