World War II Bomb Detonates After 68 Years in Germany, One Killed
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 4, 2014 6:50 PM EST
A World War II era bomb detonated in a German town of Euskirchen, killing one and injuring several others, 68 years after the end of the war.
Television footage from the scene showed the wreckage of the surrounding area
Euskirchen is situated in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW), which is Germany's most populous state.
A driver of a bulldozer was killed after his machine accidentally touched the unexploded bomb that remained buried underneath the earth for decades, the Associated Press reported.
The blast injured 13 other people in the periphery, two critically; while the powerful explosion damaged homes within a radius of 400 meters from the detonation.
Television footage from the scene showed the wreckage of the bulldozer and the nearby houses damaged with their roofs and doors blown off.
"During excavations...the digger uncovered a wartime bomb, which exploded. The driver was killed, and several others close to the digger were hurt. Two are seriously injured and six lightly," Police spokesman Norbert Hardt said.
"The blast caused significant damage, also in neighbouring streets where glass and garage doors were blown out."
Hundreds of war-time bombs are still uncovered in Germany every year, although many of them are successfully defused or detonated in safe places. In November, 20,000 people had to be moved out of Dortmund when police uncovered a 4000-pound bomb of the Allied forces. It was later defused before anyone was hurt.
About 2000 bombs have been found until now in Berlin alone, according to National Geographic. 706 bombs were defused in 2012, 239 of which weighed more than 50 kilos, Reuters reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS