Maneater Bengal Tiger Robs a Man While Fishing for Crabs
By Karuna Chandwani | January 4, 2014 6:20 PM EST
In what seems to be a bizarre incident, a tiger from the Sundarbans bordering India and Bangladesh snatched away a man while he was fishing with a group around the forest in 24 Parganas (South) district of West Bengal.
George Barker/National Geogra
The tigers from Sundarbans are known for their expertise in catching their prey. Isahaque Laskar, who was taken away by the tiger is believed to have been killed by the animal as the officials are yet to locate him in the dense forest.
Laskar was fishing on the banks of Sidurkathi River at Beniseli jungles with a couple of friends when the tiger suddenly emerged from the forest and took him away, reported PTI.
The group of friends had gone to catch some crabs when the incident took place. Laskar's friends, totally shocked by incident, notified the forest authorities and filed a case with the police to trace him.
Previous records prove that Sunderban is perhaps one of those places in the world where man is not on top of the food chain, due to the Bengal tigers, known to kill at least 50 people in a year.
In fact, a rise in attacks by the Sunderbans tigers was noted in July of 2008, when a similar incident happened. A fisherman named Putul Naskar was dragged into the Benipheli forest in the Sundarbans by a tiger early morning while he was busy catching crabs from the river.
Authorities in the nearby villages have repeatedly asked locals not to venture around the fringes of the forest.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans