BSE Sensex Posts Biggest Weekly Fall in Eight; Earnings in Focus
January 4, 2014 3:02 PM EST
The BSE Sensex and Nifty fell on Friday to mark their biggest weekly decline in eight as profit-taking hit blue chips such as Reliance Industries for a third consecutive day, extending the weak start to 2014.
The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) is lit up during 'Muhurat' (auspicious) trading to mark Diwali, the festival of lights, at a brokerage firm in Bombay November 12, 2004.
The Sensex has fallen in each of the three trading sessions of the new year, declining 1.35 percent after gaining 8.9 percent last year on the back of strong foreign buying.
Losses also tracked lower Asian shares after a sudden reversal in some very popular, and thus crowded, trades sparked a bout of global risk aversion.
"Q3 earnings would be slightly better than Q2. One should just focus on good quality businesses amid this volatility like ITC, Lupin" said Vivek Mahajan, head of research at Aditya Birla Money.
The Sensex fell 0.18 percent, or 37 points, to end at 20,851.33 and a weekly fall of 1.6 percent.
The Nifty fell 0.16 percent, or 10 points, to end at 6,211.15. It also ended down 1.6 percent for the week.
Both indexes marked their biggest weekly fall since the week ended November 8.
ICICI Bank has retraced almost the entire gain of 2.9 percent made in December over the last three trading sessions.
Among stocks that gained, Multi Commodity Exchange of India (MCEI.NS) surged 17.8 percent on acquisition hopes, after the Bombay Bullion Association said on Wednesday it was considering buying a 5 percent stake in the company.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install