2 iPhone 6 Models on 2014 Release Date: Killer Specs Include 4.7-Inch & 5.7-Inch Screen Plus Eye-Scanner & TouchID
By Erik Pineda | January 4, 2014 2:24 PM EST
More voices were added to the snowballing iPhone 6 discourse, its 2014 release date supposedly gaining more ground as a new render and fresh details defining the hotly-anticipated handset came out.
Reports from China indicated that the next iPhone will come in two builds, according to BGR, mirroring the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C releases in 2013. For 2014, the iPhone 6 will come in 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch editions, highlighting the tech giant's entry into the phablet market that Samsung, its bitter rival, has created in 2011 with the original Galaxy Note.
The report from Weibo, the biggest social networking site in China, echoed earlier reports The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg that Apple was already testing prototypes of supersized iPhones that likely will be released in the second half of 2014.
Additionally, the upcoming iOS devices will sport biometric features that will represent huge upgrades from the similar functions that Apple has introduced via the iPhone 5S in September 2013. Recall that one of the new features packed with the 5S is the TouchID fingerprint scanner.
TouchID, according to Phone Arena, will also be part of the new iPhones or more accurately, an enhanced version of it.
To go with the security offering is the rumoured eye scanner that will bolster the next iPhone security protocol. While TouchID makes use of users' fingerprints, read via the touch sensor embedded beneath the iPhone's home button, eye scanner will capture unique retina signatures with the use of front cam sensor.
These fresh reports bolstered persistent speculations that Apple is finally ditching the 4-inch screen standard that has been in use since the iPhone 5 was debuted in 2012. The move, according to analysts, is in response to the gathering traction that phablets have been gaining the past few years.
However, the 5.7-inch screen profile will come as a surprise as analysts like Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities are holding on to the belief that if even Apple will go phablet-size in the iPhone 6, it will be no more than 5-inch.
According to Kuo, an iPhone that bears screen size between 4.5-inch and 5-inch remains within the one-hand navigational feature that is the strict template being pushed by Apple CEO Tim Cook.
Yet the giant iPhone 6 is a one-time exception, BGR said on its report, pointing to a supposed leak from a Foxconn executive. Foxconn makes the bulk of iPhones and iPads that Apple ships to its global distributors.
Apart from flashing bigger screens, the iPhone 5S replacement is rumoured to bring fresh innovations from Apple this year and among them are Liquidmetal casing, wireless charging with built-in solar panel and sapphire glass cover and body coating.
The device is also said to draw its power from an A8 processing chip in 64-bit computing standard that will work in tandem with iOS 8.
The iPhone 6 release date is pegged by analysts to happen anytime between June and September 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics