Tom Cruise ‘Willing’ to be Ireland’s Film Ambassador
By Riza Ornos | January 3, 2014 9:28 PM EST
There is no doubt that Tom Cruise is one of the famous celebrities in the world and the Hollywood superstar is taking his popularity to the next level as he might assume a new role as Ireland's film ambassador.
Tom Cruise has slammed accusations that he likened acting to serving a tour in Afghanistan.
The "Mission Impossible" star has been pursued by Ireland's government in hopes of promoting the country's film industry abroad. Since his visit last year, the actor has been receiving a series of letters encouraging him to take role as Irish ambassador in the film industry.
Irish Arts Minister Jimmy Deenihan has confirmed the willingness of Cruise to assume the role through the actor's representative. But due to the actor's busy schedules he is not available to take on the role immediately. He is currently filming a science-fiction action film "Edge of Tomorrow" and is scheduled to film the fifth installment of "Mission Impossible" franchise.
Cruise recently received a certificate of Irish Heritage from Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore and resurrected his much-maligned "Oirish" accent from his hit movie with ex-wife Nicole Kidman "Far and Away" on "The Late Late Show."
In a letter sent to Cruise, Mr. Deenihan suggested that he encourage fellow filmmakers to use Ireland as a shooting location to promote the country's tourism and film industry. In one of the letter addressed to Cruise, the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht, asked:
"We would like also to arrange a number of publicity opportunities with Tom over the course of the year. That would entail a number of photo opportunities and perhaps his endorsement of both upcoming Irish movies and television productions. Tom would have the title Film Ambassador of Ireland and we would provide an executive support service in conjunction with his people. This is a hugely important industry for us and we have ambitions to double the employment and output of the sector over the next number of years."
Based on the recent tourist influx of the country, most tourists came to visit Ireland because this saw the gorgeous landscape through films. Because of this, the Irish film industry is doing the best they can to negotiate with Cruise and create a buzz to help open more jobs and attract more tourists.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS