Ruins of World War II Aircraft Recovered from North-East India
By Karuna Chandwani | January 3, 2014 8:12 PM EST
Residents living in an interior village of North-east Indian state of Manipur recovered wreckage of an aircraft that was built during the Second World War.
Douglas C-47B used extensively by the Allies during World War II and remained in front line service with various military operators through the 1950s.
Members of the youth club of Senjam Chiran village thought they hit a jackpot when ruins of the main engine of the WW II aircraft were found at Konu hill in Senapati district on 30 December.
The craft weighs nearly 300 kg, which was recovered with 14 pistols of the time amid the wreckage, officials told PTI on Friday.
They had been on their way to a temple of deity Konu Lairenbi when they discovered the remains of the WW II aircraft, which is believed to belong to the Allied Forces while they had engaged in a battle with the Japanese forces in Manipur. The remains were fully retrieved by the officials.
In January 2012, fragments of a US military aircraft, used during the same period, had been recovered in northern Tripura by a team of 34th Battalion of the Assam Rifles. After careful study of the remnants, it was discovered to be a C-47B, which had crashed during World War II.
"The majority of Allied crashes were caused by inhospitable weather, mechanical failure or navigational errors. The American Joint Prisoners of War and Missing in Action Accounting Command (JPAC) had identified 16 known crash sites in northeast India where Allied forces aircraft had crashed during World War II," an official had said then.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales