Pacquiao vs. Mayweather Jr: Hall of Fame Promoter Says Fight Will Happen, Biggest Boxing Match Ever
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 3, 2014 7:38 PM EST
Don King, one of the most influential promoters in the history of boxing, really believed the megabuck showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could really happen, the famous match-maker said during an interview with boxing pundit Jenna Jay of On The Ropes.
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao attends a training session at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau
King, who served as the head promoter for boxing legends Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes, George Foreman and Iron Mike Tyson, is optimistic that Pacquiao and Mayweather would eventually face each other down the road, primarily because of the amount of money at stake in the fight.
"Yes it could happen! Boxers are people and people are boxers and sometimes you get caught up in the position of money, and you got to be able to deal with what's the real power," King said. "Dealing with them, you have to deal with real human beings, because the fighters are sophisticated and intelligent and they want what their just due is, so we got to negotiate and compromise."
King believed nobody in the business that can handle the negotiation between both camps than him, because he respects the fighters and gives them due credence.
"You got to give them a chance to be respected, that's something you have to be able to deal with, that's why I think I can make any match and make things happen that wouldn't happen without us, cause I consider you as a human being," King stressed. "I'm very happy that these two guys are looking to be looked upon with such acclaim and such fame.
When asked why it has been a daunting task arranging this showdown, King said Pacquiao's dismaying performance against Timothy Bradley (12-round split decision loss) and Juan Manuel Marquez (sixth-round TKO loss) in 2012 could have discouraged Mayweather's camp to take him as a serious contender. He added that losses could have been the offshot of his frustration in booking a showdown with Money May.
"I'm looking forward to seeing those two guys meet if that's what they want, although the tarnish has been there because of Pacquiao's depression and distraughtness of not being able to fight Mayweather has caused him to lose a couple of times," King added via Balita.ph. "I think they would still want to see that fight because that's one they would get ready for and both of these guys work dedicatedly and committedly. I think Floyd Mayweather is the best fighter in the world today."
Pacquiao is set to make his 2014 debut in April against either Ruslan Provodnikov or Bradley while Mayweather could face either Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana in his May 3 fight date.
For more Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect