Pacquiao vs. Mayweather Jr: Hall of Fame Promoter Says Fight Will Happen, Biggest Boxing Match Ever
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 3, 2014 7:38 PM EST
Don King, one of the most influential promoters in the history of boxing, really believed the megabuck showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could really happen, the famous match-maker said during an interview with boxing pundit Jenna Jay of On The Ropes.
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao attends a training session at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau
King, who served as the head promoter for boxing legends Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes, George Foreman and Iron Mike Tyson, is optimistic that Pacquiao and Mayweather would eventually face each other down the road, primarily because of the amount of money at stake in the fight.
"Yes it could happen! Boxers are people and people are boxers and sometimes you get caught up in the position of money, and you got to be able to deal with what's the real power," King said. "Dealing with them, you have to deal with real human beings, because the fighters are sophisticated and intelligent and they want what their just due is, so we got to negotiate and compromise."
King believed nobody in the business that can handle the negotiation between both camps than him, because he respects the fighters and gives them due credence.
"You got to give them a chance to be respected, that's something you have to be able to deal with, that's why I think I can make any match and make things happen that wouldn't happen without us, cause I consider you as a human being," King stressed. "I'm very happy that these two guys are looking to be looked upon with such acclaim and such fame.
When asked why it has been a daunting task arranging this showdown, King said Pacquiao's dismaying performance against Timothy Bradley (12-round split decision loss) and Juan Manuel Marquez (sixth-round TKO loss) in 2012 could have discouraged Mayweather's camp to take him as a serious contender. He added that losses could have been the offshot of his frustration in booking a showdown with Money May.
"I'm looking forward to seeing those two guys meet if that's what they want, although the tarnish has been there because of Pacquiao's depression and distraughtness of not being able to fight Mayweather has caused him to lose a couple of times," King added via Balita.ph. "I think they would still want to see that fight because that's one they would get ready for and both of these guys work dedicatedly and committedly. I think Floyd Mayweather is the best fighter in the world today."
Pacquiao is set to make his 2014 debut in April against either Ruslan Provodnikov or Bradley while Mayweather could face either Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana in his May 3 fight date.
For more Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon