Pacquiao vs. Mayweather Jr: Hall of Fame Promoter Says Fight Will Happen, Biggest Boxing Match Ever
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 3, 2014 7:38 PM EST
Don King, one of the most influential promoters in the history of boxing, really believed the megabuck showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could really happen, the famous match-maker said during an interview with boxing pundit Jenna Jay of On The Ropes.
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao attends a training session at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau
King, who served as the head promoter for boxing legends Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes, George Foreman and Iron Mike Tyson, is optimistic that Pacquiao and Mayweather would eventually face each other down the road, primarily because of the amount of money at stake in the fight.
"Yes it could happen! Boxers are people and people are boxers and sometimes you get caught up in the position of money, and you got to be able to deal with what's the real power," King said. "Dealing with them, you have to deal with real human beings, because the fighters are sophisticated and intelligent and they want what their just due is, so we got to negotiate and compromise."
King believed nobody in the business that can handle the negotiation between both camps than him, because he respects the fighters and gives them due credence.
"You got to give them a chance to be respected, that's something you have to be able to deal with, that's why I think I can make any match and make things happen that wouldn't happen without us, cause I consider you as a human being," King stressed. "I'm very happy that these two guys are looking to be looked upon with such acclaim and such fame.
When asked why it has been a daunting task arranging this showdown, King said Pacquiao's dismaying performance against Timothy Bradley (12-round split decision loss) and Juan Manuel Marquez (sixth-round TKO loss) in 2012 could have discouraged Mayweather's camp to take him as a serious contender. He added that losses could have been the offshot of his frustration in booking a showdown with Money May.
"I'm looking forward to seeing those two guys meet if that's what they want, although the tarnish has been there because of Pacquiao's depression and distraughtness of not being able to fight Mayweather has caused him to lose a couple of times," King added via Balita.ph. "I think they would still want to see that fight because that's one they would get ready for and both of these guys work dedicatedly and committedly. I think Floyd Mayweather is the best fighter in the world today."
Pacquiao is set to make his 2014 debut in April against either Ruslan Provodnikov or Bradley while Mayweather could face either Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana in his May 3 fight date.
For more Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop