Pacquiao vs. Mayweather Jr: Hall of Fame Promoter Says Fight Will Happen, Biggest Boxing Match Ever
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 3, 2014 7:38 PM EST
Don King, one of the most influential promoters in the history of boxing, really believed the megabuck showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could really happen, the famous match-maker said during an interview with boxing pundit Jenna Jay of On The Ropes.
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao attends a training session at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau
King, who served as the head promoter for boxing legends Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes, George Foreman and Iron Mike Tyson, is optimistic that Pacquiao and Mayweather would eventually face each other down the road, primarily because of the amount of money at stake in the fight.
"Yes it could happen! Boxers are people and people are boxers and sometimes you get caught up in the position of money, and you got to be able to deal with what's the real power," King said. "Dealing with them, you have to deal with real human beings, because the fighters are sophisticated and intelligent and they want what their just due is, so we got to negotiate and compromise."
King believed nobody in the business that can handle the negotiation between both camps than him, because he respects the fighters and gives them due credence.
"You got to give them a chance to be respected, that's something you have to be able to deal with, that's why I think I can make any match and make things happen that wouldn't happen without us, cause I consider you as a human being," King stressed. "I'm very happy that these two guys are looking to be looked upon with such acclaim and such fame.
When asked why it has been a daunting task arranging this showdown, King said Pacquiao's dismaying performance against Timothy Bradley (12-round split decision loss) and Juan Manuel Marquez (sixth-round TKO loss) in 2012 could have discouraged Mayweather's camp to take him as a serious contender. He added that losses could have been the offshot of his frustration in booking a showdown with Money May.
"I'm looking forward to seeing those two guys meet if that's what they want, although the tarnish has been there because of Pacquiao's depression and distraughtness of not being able to fight Mayweather has caused him to lose a couple of times," King added via Balita.ph. "I think they would still want to see that fight because that's one they would get ready for and both of these guys work dedicatedly and committedly. I think Floyd Mayweather is the best fighter in the world today."
Pacquiao is set to make his 2014 debut in April against either Ruslan Provodnikov or Bradley while Mayweather could face either Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana in his May 3 fight date.
For more Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories