Pacquiao vs. Mayweather Jr: Hall of Fame Promoter Says Fight Will Happen, Biggest Boxing Match Ever
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 3, 2014 7:38 PM EST
Don King, one of the most influential promoters in the history of boxing, really believed the megabuck showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could really happen, the famous match-maker said during an interview with boxing pundit Jenna Jay of On The Ropes.
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao attends a training session at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau
King, who served as the head promoter for boxing legends Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes, George Foreman and Iron Mike Tyson, is optimistic that Pacquiao and Mayweather would eventually face each other down the road, primarily because of the amount of money at stake in the fight.
"Yes it could happen! Boxers are people and people are boxers and sometimes you get caught up in the position of money, and you got to be able to deal with what's the real power," King said. "Dealing with them, you have to deal with real human beings, because the fighters are sophisticated and intelligent and they want what their just due is, so we got to negotiate and compromise."
King believed nobody in the business that can handle the negotiation between both camps than him, because he respects the fighters and gives them due credence.
"You got to give them a chance to be respected, that's something you have to be able to deal with, that's why I think I can make any match and make things happen that wouldn't happen without us, cause I consider you as a human being," King stressed. "I'm very happy that these two guys are looking to be looked upon with such acclaim and such fame.
When asked why it has been a daunting task arranging this showdown, King said Pacquiao's dismaying performance against Timothy Bradley (12-round split decision loss) and Juan Manuel Marquez (sixth-round TKO loss) in 2012 could have discouraged Mayweather's camp to take him as a serious contender. He added that losses could have been the offshot of his frustration in booking a showdown with Money May.
"I'm looking forward to seeing those two guys meet if that's what they want, although the tarnish has been there because of Pacquiao's depression and distraughtness of not being able to fight Mayweather has caused him to lose a couple of times," King added via Balita.ph. "I think they would still want to see that fight because that's one they would get ready for and both of these guys work dedicatedly and committedly. I think Floyd Mayweather is the best fighter in the world today."
Pacquiao is set to make his 2014 debut in April against either Ruslan Provodnikov or Bradley while Mayweather could face either Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana in his May 3 fight date.
For more Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date