Northeastern US Shivers in Massive Snow Storm: 21 Inches of Snowfall in Some Places; New York, New Jersey Declare Emergency [PHOTOS]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | January 3, 2014 7:33 PM EST
The first major snow storm of 2014 has hit the northeastern part of US, bringing as much as 21 inches of snowfall in a town in Massachusetts, disrupting thousands of flights and leaving people in utter chaos.
The New York and New Jersey governors have declared a state of emergency, urging people to stay indoors while the storm brought dangerously low temperatures and strong winds from the lower Mississippi Valley to the Atlantic coast. Parts of New England including Boston is shivering in as much as 14 inches of snow, received until Friday morning.
"As this winter storm unfolds, bringing heavy snow and high winds to many parts of the state, I strongly urge all New Yorkers to exercise caution, avoid travel and stay indoors," New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said.
FlightAware.com, a website that tracks air travel has announced that more than 2,200 flights were cancelled on Thursday. As of Early morning of Friday, another 1000 flights scheduled to fly later in the day had been cancelled. Boston's Logan International Airport had warned that takeoffs would end by 8:30 pm EST on Friday.
Chicago's O'Hare International and Newark's Liberty International Airport were the worst-affected. New York's three major airports were arranging cots to accommodate stranded travelers.
"We have a few hundred cots at each of the airports should you decide to become an overnight guest," Thomas Bosco, an official with the Port Authority of New York and Jersey, at New York's LaGuardia Airport told Reuters.
Many schools and business have closed after it was warned that the storm would worsen overnight and into the morning of Friday.
Extreme level of Snow
The National Weather Service said late on Thursday that almost 53 cm of snow was recorded in Boxford, north of Boston. Areas of Massachusetts and New York recorded similar falls.
Parts of the states of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine were also expected to accumulate similar amount of snow. About 10 inches of snow is expected in the Long Island region of New York and a blizzard warning has been issued for the place.
The storm comes as an early test for New York City's Mayor Bill de Blasio, who was sworn in only on Wednesday. He had criticized his predecessor, Michael Bloomberg's response in similar storm that hit the city in 2010.
"It would have been nice to have a nice, calm first day but we have snow on our mind, and we are focused like a laser on protecting the people of the city and getting everyone ready," 52-year-old Blasio said in his first news conference.
Meanwhile, the storm comes only a few days before Boston Mayor Thomas Menino ends his 20 years in office.
"I guess Mother Nature wanted to give me one more gift," he told reporters.
"Take precautions and take public transportation and take care of one another," he added.
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick ordered state offices to remain closed early on Thursday and told staff to stay indoors on Friday.
"Minimize outside activities...These temperature are very, very dangerous," he said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions