Arsenal Transfer Rumours: Arsene Wenger Ready to Trigger Release Clause of Diego Costa
By Deepak Vikraman | January 3, 2014 7:21 PM EST
When Nicklas Bendtner scored the winner for Arsenal against Cardiff after the home side had put on a relentless attacking exercise for nearly 90 minutes, with that relief flooding through the fans, there was also a sense of maybe the Danish enigma could yet act as a perfect support act to Olivier Giroud.
But then, the ankle sprain following that smash into the back of the net rendered Arsenal striker-less, with Arsene Wenger now having to opt for Lukas Podolski or even Theo Walcott for a central role.
Wenger admitted the Gunners were short on striking options, but insisted, as he always does, he would delve into the January transfer market only if a special player were to be available.
According to the Daily Star, that special player could be Diego Costa, with the report suggesting Arsenal were ready to trigger the £32 million release clause that currently exists in the Atletico Madrid striker's contract.
There is little doubt that Costa, who will be ineligible to play in the Champions League were he to switch allegiance to Arsenal, has quality, having already netted 19 goals in 17 La Liga games this season.
The Brazil-born forward, who has pledged his international future to Spain, could very well be the answer to Arsenal's problems up front, and while it would be another big investment, bringing in a quality player like Costa will further lift the morale of the rest of the Arsenal players, much like the signing of Mesut Ozil did in the summer.
One Gunner who would be happy to see new faces coming in is Theo Walcott.
"[It] is for the manager to decide if he wants to go out and buy anyone, whoever will come to the club in January, if not it is going to make the club stronger anyway," Walcott said.
"It is always nice to have competition with players coming in, but January is such a difficult period in the transfer market to get players in, especially the top players.
"The boss has already said that he is looking for special players and we have got a lot of special players in that dressing room."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup