Arsenal Transfer Rumours: Arsene Wenger Ready to Trigger Release Clause of Diego Costa
By Deepak Vikraman | January 3, 2014 7:21 PM EST
When Nicklas Bendtner scored the winner for Arsenal against Cardiff after the home side had put on a relentless attacking exercise for nearly 90 minutes, with that relief flooding through the fans, there was also a sense of maybe the Danish enigma could yet act as a perfect support act to Olivier Giroud.
But then, the ankle sprain following that smash into the back of the net rendered Arsenal striker-less, with Arsene Wenger now having to opt for Lukas Podolski or even Theo Walcott for a central role.
Wenger admitted the Gunners were short on striking options, but insisted, as he always does, he would delve into the January transfer market only if a special player were to be available.
According to the Daily Star, that special player could be Diego Costa, with the report suggesting Arsenal were ready to trigger the £32 million release clause that currently exists in the Atletico Madrid striker's contract.
There is little doubt that Costa, who will be ineligible to play in the Champions League were he to switch allegiance to Arsenal, has quality, having already netted 19 goals in 17 La Liga games this season.
The Brazil-born forward, who has pledged his international future to Spain, could very well be the answer to Arsenal's problems up front, and while it would be another big investment, bringing in a quality player like Costa will further lift the morale of the rest of the Arsenal players, much like the signing of Mesut Ozil did in the summer.
One Gunner who would be happy to see new faces coming in is Theo Walcott.
"[It] is for the manager to decide if he wants to go out and buy anyone, whoever will come to the club in January, if not it is going to make the club stronger anyway," Walcott said.
"It is always nice to have competition with players coming in, but January is such a difficult period in the transfer market to get players in, especially the top players.
"The boss has already said that he is looking for special players and we have got a lot of special players in that dressing room."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate