GTA 5 Sales in UK Tops 3.6 Million, Shortly to be the Best Selling Game of All Time
By Aditya Bhat | January 3, 2014 7:07 PM EST
The Entertainment Retailers Association provided figures as part of its 2013 preliminary report where Rockstar Games' action-adventure video game, Grand Theft Auto 5 (GTA 5) has reached the astonishing figures of 3.6 million in sales in the UK.
GTA 5 sales hit 3.6 million in UK.
The game has seen tremendous mass appeal resulting in good sales figures, starting right from its launch on 17 September, 2013. The game had made $800 million in worldwide sales in a single day and reached $1 billion revenue in three days.
CVG reported that the game was on its way to become the best-selling console game of all time in early November by selling about 29 million copies in retail. GTA 5 will definitely get a boost with the launch of long-rumored PC version of the game and other upcoming DLCs.
Currently, it is Mario Kart Wii that is the best-selling console game at 34 million units and GTA 5 has a long way to go to reach this figure. The report also noted that there had been a decline in physical game sales and in UK, there was an increase of 6.6 percent in 2013 of the combined games revenue mostly driven by the sales of PS4 and Xbox One after their launch.
"This is a stunning result after at least five years of decline," said Kim Bayley, director of Entertainment Retailers Association.
Presently GTA 5 has been released only on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The game introduces three new player-controlled protagonists: Michael, Trevor, and Franklin, where each of the characters has a special capability.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- New iPhone 7 Display Possibly in the Works as Foxconn Builds New Display Factory Exclusive to Apple
- Apple iPhone 7 Release Roundup: Release Date, Liquidmetal and New Design Technology
- Apple Moves to Sapphire but Corning Makes Tougher Gorilla Glass