PM Tony Abbott Called ‘reckless ideologue who ignores science’; Bureau Report Adds Proof of Climate Change
By Reissa Su | January 3, 2014 6:43 PM EST
After the Bureau of Meteorology has announced 2013 as the hottest year in Australia, the spotlight shines on Prime Minister Tony Abbott as critics seized an opportunity to call for a climate policy change.
Australia's Prime Minister Tony Abbott addresses during the Commonwealth Government Meeting (CHOGM) opening ceremony in Colombo November 15, 2013.
Political opponents of Mr Abbott have more reason to compel him abandon the scrapping of carbon pricing laws. The Australian Labour Party and the Greens used the Annual Climate Statement of the weather bureau to call on the Abbott government to reassess its current climate change policies. According to a report by the Guardian, Richard Di Nitale, acting Greens leader, called Mr Abbott a "reckless ideologue who ignores the science." Mr Abbott was also accused of "listening to people who are part of the tinfoil hat brigade."
One of Mr Abbott's campaign promises in the September election was to scrap Labour's carbon tax and replace it with the Coalition's direct action policy. Both the Greens and Labour refused to support the prime minister's plan in the upper house. This leaves Mr Abbott no choice but to wait until a new Senate will commence in July. Labour has remained a supporter of emissions trading scheme and promotes the reduction of the fixed carbon price to a floating price.
In the bureau's Annual Climate Statement, average temperatures in 2013 broke the previous record in 2005 by 0.17C. The report revealed that all states and territories in Australia have above average temperatures on record in 2013. Northern Territory, South Australia and Western Australia were breaking records in terms of annual average temperature.
Acting Labour leader Penny Wong remarked that Australians have a high regard for the weather bureau. Its findings suggest once again that climate change is real. For Ms Wong, the only people who don't believe in climate change are Mr Abbott and some of his political advisers.
On Sept. 2013, Mr Abbott abolished the Climate Change Commission including Tim Flannery, internationally renowned climate change author and scientist. Mr Abbott, who once called scientific evidence of climate change as "absolute crap" removed the environmental agency on two days after he was officially sworn in as prime minister of Australia.
The move shocked environmentalists, scientists and the rest of the community. Among the developed nations in the world, Australia has one of the driest environments. The country is regarded as one of the most vulnerable countries to the effects of climate change.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers