NBA Trade News: Carmelo Anthony, J.R Smith To L.A Lakers, Pau Gasol, Nick Young To NY Knicks in Proposed Trade
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 3, 2014 6:41 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are still the burning hotlines, trying to find a suitable team that would help them move All-Star power forward Pau Gasol and land another star to play alongside Kobe Bryant.
NY Knicks star Carmelo Anthony could be trade to LA Lakers
According to Sheridan Hoops, the Lakers' road to contention would be much easier if they are able to pull a blockbuster trade with the New York Knicks involving Carmelo Anthony and J.R Smith.
The Lakers front office, led by general manager Mitch Kupchak, has spent the last two months engaging in a number of negotiations with Gasol at the center of these trade talks.
Gasol, who averaged 15.1 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.3 blocks this season, is viewed as the only significant trade chip the Lakers have after overhauling their roster following the departure of All-Star center Dwight Howard to the Houston Rockets last summer.
The Lakers attempted several times to trade Gasol over the last six months, but no trade ever happened because teams are reportedly unsure of what they can get from the Spaniard at this point of his career.
Another stumbling block in any potential Gasol trade is the Lakers' steep asking price for the veteran big man. According to reports, the Lakers want a draft pick or a promising young player as compensation for giving away Gasol's services.
In the latest trade rumor, the Lakers have reportedly engaged in trade talks with the Cleveland Cavaliers in an attempt to swap Gasol for disgruntled center Andrew Bynum. Unfortunately, negotiation stalled because the Cavs are unwilling to include any of their young players in the package for Gasol.
Los Angeles Lakers - NY Knicks Trade
The Lakers are not going to throw away this season, regardless the tempt of the loaded 2014 NBA Draft. After signing Bryant to a lucrative two-year, 48.5 million contract extension, the purple-and-gold has little money to spare for free-agency signing over the next two seasons. Basketball analysts believed the only way to improve their roster is via trade, in which they can use their salary exemptions.
According to veteran NBA writer Chris Sheridan, the Lakers can get the job done by packaging Gasol and Nick Young to the Knicks in exchange for Carmelo Anthony and reigning sixth man of the Year J.R Smith.
"Melo to Lakers, along with J.R. Smith, for P.Gasol and N.Young. This would allow complete rebuild," via Sheridan Hoops.
After being the subject of trade rumors for the last three years, Gasol will finally have a fresh environment in New York, if this trade pushes through. Gasol might not be the same double-double guy that he used to be, but the Knicks would benefit from his expiring contract.
Young is having a sixth man of the year worthy season, averaging 16.5 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.4 assists in his first year with purple and gold. Like Gasol, Young is signed for only two years with a players option for the second year. These contracts will allow the Knicks to have financial flexibility moving forward as they look to get another star in next summer's free-agency.
Meanwhile, Anthony and Smith will certainly speed up the Lakers' rebuilding process. Although it's uncertain if Melo will mesh up pretty well with another shot-happy star in Bryant, it's still good to see that the Lakers finally have another superstar than none. Smith is proven scorer off the bench, when motivated - that's for sure.
For more NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit