Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 1/3/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 3, 2014 6:09 PM EST
The Australian share market joined Wall Street and other Asian markets to close in the red today, as profit takers moved in following a solid 2013 for investors.
A man is reflected in a window as he walks past the indicator boards at the Australian Stock Exchange in Sydney August 11, 2011.
The US Dow Jones Index closed lower on the first trading day of 2014, after delivering a 26.5 per cent return for investors last year.
Most sectors closed in the red on the local share market, with the All Ords closing down 18 points or 0.3 per cent to 5351.8 points.
Over the course of the shortened and disrupted trading week, our market rose 0.5 per cent.
It was not only a weak lead from Wall Street but also fears of a slowdown in China which weighed on sentiment. Chinese non-manufacturing PMI was released today, showing a reading of 54.6 points in December, down from 56 points. That was the lowest reading since August.
In company news, Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox (FOX) announced the sale of its 47 per cent stake in Star China TV which operates three Mandarin TV stations, for an undisclosed sum. FOX shares rose 0.7 per cent today to $38.97.
The world's largest money manager BlackRock emerged today as a new substantial shareholder of mining services company Forge Group (FGE), explaining the company's recent share price hike. FGE fell 6.6 per cent today to $1.42.
Gold has had its best week since October and in Asian trade was buying US$1230 an ounce.
On the market overall, a total of 1.3 billion shares changed hands, with a value of $2.2 billion. 393 shares were up, 459 were down and 316 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5319, down 26 points or 0.5 per cent.
The Aussie dollar ended the session at US89.79c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers