Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 1/3/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 3, 2014 6:09 PM EST
The Australian share market joined Wall Street and other Asian markets to close in the red today, as profit takers moved in following a solid 2013 for investors.
A man is reflected in a window as he walks past the indicator boards at the Australian Stock Exchange in Sydney August 11, 2011.
The US Dow Jones Index closed lower on the first trading day of 2014, after delivering a 26.5 per cent return for investors last year.
Most sectors closed in the red on the local share market, with the All Ords closing down 18 points or 0.3 per cent to 5351.8 points.
Over the course of the shortened and disrupted trading week, our market rose 0.5 per cent.
It was not only a weak lead from Wall Street but also fears of a slowdown in China which weighed on sentiment. Chinese non-manufacturing PMI was released today, showing a reading of 54.6 points in December, down from 56 points. That was the lowest reading since August.
In company news, Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox (FOX) announced the sale of its 47 per cent stake in Star China TV which operates three Mandarin TV stations, for an undisclosed sum. FOX shares rose 0.7 per cent today to $38.97.
The world's largest money manager BlackRock emerged today as a new substantial shareholder of mining services company Forge Group (FGE), explaining the company's recent share price hike. FGE fell 6.6 per cent today to $1.42.
Gold has had its best week since October and in Asian trade was buying US$1230 an ounce.
On the market overall, a total of 1.3 billion shares changed hands, with a value of $2.2 billion. 393 shares were up, 459 were down and 316 were unchanged.
At 4.30pm AEDT the SFE 200 Futures Index was at 5319, down 26 points or 0.5 per cent.
The Aussie dollar ended the session at US89.79c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air