Australia's Heat Wave Can Fry Egg on Shovel; 2013 Declared Country's Hottest Year
By Reissa Su | January 3, 2014 5:25 PM EST
Inland Australia continues to deal with rising temperatures as the Bureau of Meteorology declares 2013 the hottest year on record with average temperatures at 1.20 degrees Celsius higher than the long term average of 21.8C.
Roads go off in various directions next to sand dunes covered in vegetation in the Pilbara region of Western Australia December 2, 2013. Western Australia's Pilbara region, which is the size of Spain, has the world's largest known deposits of iron ore and supplies nearly 45 percent of global trade in the mineral industry. Picture taken December 2. (REUTERS/David Gray)
In the bureau's Annual Climate Statement, average temperatures in 2013 broke the previous record in 2005 by 0.17C. The report revealed that all states and territories in Australia have above average temperatures on record in 2013. Northern Territory, South Australia and Western Australia were breaking records in terms of annual average temperature.
The hottest day for Australia was recorded on January 7, 2013. In the same month, Australia recorded its hottest week and hottest month since records began in 1910. The Annual Climate Statement also revealed a new record. The national average temperature above 39C was recorded in 7 consecutive days between Jan. 2 and 8.
According to the bureau's Neil Plummer, the statistics point to a warming trend in Australia. He added it is not only in Australia where rising temperatures have been recorded but in other parts of the world as well.
The Annual Climate Statement confirmed a report prepared by the UN climate panel in September 2013. The UN panel observed the recent warming trends as the result of rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
Scorching temperatures can fry egg on shovel
The northern part of Australia almost broke records with temperatures reaching 40C. John Nairn from the weather bureau said several outback towns were approaching record-breaking temperatures with the highest in Moomba at 49.3 degrees.
Phil Turner, a resident Marree north of Adelaide, said he was making the most of the ongoing heat wave. He and his wife tried frying an egg on a shovel. They set up a shovel and placed it directly under the sun's heat. He saw the egg "slowly frying away."
South Australia's Country Fire Service has warned of "catastrophic" conditions with winds from the previous cyclone Christine aggravating current weather conditions.
Towns in Queensland will also have to deal with higher temperatures above 40C. Birdsvill will have the highest temperature at 48C. According to historical data from Weatherzone, Roma has reached 44C, its hottest day since records began in 1870.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal