Australia's Heat Wave Can Fry Egg on Shovel; 2013 Declared Country's Hottest Year
By Reissa Su | January 3, 2014 5:25 PM EST
Inland Australia continues to deal with rising temperatures as the Bureau of Meteorology declares 2013 the hottest year on record with average temperatures at 1.20 degrees Celsius higher than the long term average of 21.8C.
Roads go off in various directions next to sand dunes covered in vegetation in the Pilbara region of Western Australia December 2, 2013. Western Australia's Pilbara region, which is the size of Spain, has the world's largest known deposits of iron ore and supplies nearly 45 percent of global trade in the mineral industry. Picture taken December 2. (REUTERS/David Gray)
In the bureau's Annual Climate Statement, average temperatures in 2013 broke the previous record in 2005 by 0.17C. The report revealed that all states and territories in Australia have above average temperatures on record in 2013. Northern Territory, South Australia and Western Australia were breaking records in terms of annual average temperature.
The hottest day for Australia was recorded on January 7, 2013. In the same month, Australia recorded its hottest week and hottest month since records began in 1910. The Annual Climate Statement also revealed a new record. The national average temperature above 39C was recorded in 7 consecutive days between Jan. 2 and 8.
According to the bureau's Neil Plummer, the statistics point to a warming trend in Australia. He added it is not only in Australia where rising temperatures have been recorded but in other parts of the world as well.
The Annual Climate Statement confirmed a report prepared by the UN climate panel in September 2013. The UN panel observed the recent warming trends as the result of rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
Scorching temperatures can fry egg on shovel
The northern part of Australia almost broke records with temperatures reaching 40C. John Nairn from the weather bureau said several outback towns were approaching record-breaking temperatures with the highest in Moomba at 49.3 degrees.
Phil Turner, a resident Marree north of Adelaide, said he was making the most of the ongoing heat wave. He and his wife tried frying an egg on a shovel. They set up a shovel and placed it directly under the sun's heat. He saw the egg "slowly frying away."
South Australia's Country Fire Service has warned of "catastrophic" conditions with winds from the previous cyclone Christine aggravating current weather conditions.
Towns in Queensland will also have to deal with higher temperatures above 40C. Birdsvill will have the highest temperature at 48C. According to historical data from Weatherzone, Roma has reached 44C, its hottest day since records began in 1870.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence