Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Timothy Bradley Or Ruslan Provodnikov
By James Patrick Quizon | January 3, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Bob Arum has recently denied rumors that Manny Pacquiao will be facing Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September 2014. The Filipino boxer will either be facing American Timothy Bradley in a rematch or Russian Ruslan Provodnikov.
The false report stemmed from a YouTube video published in December. However, Arum in an extensive interview with Brad Cooney of 8countnews.com, squashed the rumor saying “nothing has moved about this fight.”
“You’re going to get reports like this from time to time, but unless it comes from us or Manny. It has absolutely no substance,” Arum said a few hours after Michael Koncz, Pacquaio adviser, denied that a deal was done for the mega-fight. “The two guys that are the frontrunners are Tim Bradley and Ruslan Provodnikov.”
“I've heard it both ways. Some people said the Russian would do better than a Bradley fight. Others noted Bradley is the bigger name and he would be better.” Arum added when queried of the probable pay-per-view performance of the fight.
If it’s a fight against the undefeated Bradley (31-0-0, 12 KOs), Pacquiao will get a shot in avenging his controversial loss via split decision to the American in June 2012.
If it’s against the Russian, Provodnikov (23-2-0, 16 KOs) will most likely get the heftiest payday of his career against the Filipino, whom he called a friend as both trained in the Wild Card Gym under Freddie Roach.
“If fate is giving me the opportunity, then I need to use it. To refuse a fight with such a great boxer is stupid,” the Russian said in an interview with boxscorenews.com in late December.
Bradley’s Last 5 Fights (5-0, 1 KO)
Win vs. Juan Manuel Marquez (split decision)
Win vs. Ruslan Provodnikov (unanimous decision)
Win vs. Manny Pacquiao (split decision)
Win vs. Joel Casamayor (8th round knockout)
Win vs. Devon Alexander (technical decision)
Provodnikov’s Last 5 Fights (4-1, 2 KOs):
Win vs. Mike Alvarado (10th round referee’s technical decision)
Loss vs. Timothy Bradley (unanimous decision)
Win vs. Jose Reynoso (2nd round knockout)
Win vs. David Torres (6th round technical knockout)
Win vs. DeMarcus Corley (unanimous decision)
Who’s the better match-up for Pacquiao in April?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions