Manny Pacquiao Next Fight: Timothy Bradley Or Ruslan Provodnikov
By James Patrick Quizon | January 3, 2014 4:57 PM EST
Bob Arum has recently denied rumors that Manny Pacquiao will be facing Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September 2014. The Filipino boxer will either be facing American Timothy Bradley in a rematch or Russian Ruslan Provodnikov.
The false report stemmed from a YouTube video published in December. However, Arum in an extensive interview with Brad Cooney of 8countnews.com, squashed the rumor saying “nothing has moved about this fight.”
“You’re going to get reports like this from time to time, but unless it comes from us or Manny. It has absolutely no substance,” Arum said a few hours after Michael Koncz, Pacquaio adviser, denied that a deal was done for the mega-fight. “The two guys that are the frontrunners are Tim Bradley and Ruslan Provodnikov.”
“I've heard it both ways. Some people said the Russian would do better than a Bradley fight. Others noted Bradley is the bigger name and he would be better.” Arum added when queried of the probable pay-per-view performance of the fight.
If it’s a fight against the undefeated Bradley (31-0-0, 12 KOs), Pacquiao will get a shot in avenging his controversial loss via split decision to the American in June 2012.
If it’s against the Russian, Provodnikov (23-2-0, 16 KOs) will most likely get the heftiest payday of his career against the Filipino, whom he called a friend as both trained in the Wild Card Gym under Freddie Roach.
“If fate is giving me the opportunity, then I need to use it. To refuse a fight with such a great boxer is stupid,” the Russian said in an interview with boxscorenews.com in late December.
Bradley’s Last 5 Fights (5-0, 1 KO)
Win vs. Juan Manuel Marquez (split decision)
Win vs. Ruslan Provodnikov (unanimous decision)
Win vs. Manny Pacquiao (split decision)
Win vs. Joel Casamayor (8th round knockout)
Win vs. Devon Alexander (technical decision)
Provodnikov’s Last 5 Fights (4-1, 2 KOs):
Win vs. Mike Alvarado (10th round referee’s technical decision)
Loss vs. Timothy Bradley (unanimous decision)
Win vs. Jose Reynoso (2nd round knockout)
Win vs. David Torres (6th round technical knockout)
Win vs. DeMarcus Corley (unanimous decision)
Who’s the better match-up for Pacquiao in April?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge