Samsung Galaxy S4 & Galaxy S3 Android 4.4 KitKat Updates
By Karla Danica Figuerres | January 3, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Lots of mobile companies have announced Android 4.4 KitKat updates for their devices last year but Samsung remained silent about its plans for the Android 4.4 KitKat. Samsung being silent about the update is some sort of a bad news for Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S3 owners who are eagerly waiting for the update to come.
Google unveiled the Android 4.4 KitKat in September. Back then, Google did not mention details about the new version of Android but it waited until the end of October to release particulars. At that time, while HTC, Sony and Motorola released specific information about Android 4.4 KitKat updates for its devices, Samsung, the largest Android manufacturer kept its silence.
Here's what Samsung fans should expect about the Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S3 Android 4.4 KitKat updates based on leaks.
Samsung Galaxy S4
The Galaxy S4 is the current flagship device of Samsung, which was updated to the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean just recently. Unlike for the Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Note 2, this update is not as substantial for the Galaxy S4 but it was an important update delivering the Galaxy Gear support and the Samsung KNOX. The Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update has been over for weeks already and fans have turned into the next update - the Android 4.4 KitKat.
Thus far, Samsung did not release any official statements about the Android 4.4 KitKat update but it does not have to. It is pretty clear that the update is coming soon as SFR, a French carrier, confirmed it. Although the carrier did not confirm a specific release date, it announced that the Galaxy S4 will have the Android 4.4 KitKat update in late January or early February.
Usually, carrier updates come after unbranded and unlocked updates, thus; we expect that the Android 4.4 KitKat will come to the Galaxy S4 few days from now.
Samsung Galaxy S3
The Galaxy S3 is already almost two years old and Google only recommends an 18-month software support rule. In fact, Google did not make Android 4.4 KitKat update for the Galaxy Nexus because of this rule.
A leak suggested that Samsung is planning the update for the Galaxy S3 in April but that is all we know about it now. Apart from this bit of information, the Galaxy S3 remains a popular device in the hands of millions of Samsung fans. In fact, it is one of the most popular devices in recent times and it is a bit surprising if Samsung will kill the software support already after the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L Rollout Prediction: Nexus 4, Moto X, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, LG G2
- ‘World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update For The Classes Including Druid, Rogue And Priest [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One M8 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- 'Assassin's Creed' Update: 'Unity' And 'Rogue' Not A Multiplayer Player Game, Ubisoft Confirms
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch