Samsung Galaxy S4 & Galaxy S3 Android 4.4 KitKat Updates
By Karla Danica Figuerres | January 3, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Lots of mobile companies have announced Android 4.4 KitKat updates for their devices last year but Samsung remained silent about its plans for the Android 4.4 KitKat. Samsung being silent about the update is some sort of a bad news for Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S3 owners who are eagerly waiting for the update to come.
Google unveiled the Android 4.4 KitKat in September. Back then, Google did not mention details about the new version of Android but it waited until the end of October to release particulars. At that time, while HTC, Sony and Motorola released specific information about Android 4.4 KitKat updates for its devices, Samsung, the largest Android manufacturer kept its silence.
Here's what Samsung fans should expect about the Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S3 Android 4.4 KitKat updates based on leaks.
Samsung Galaxy S4
The Galaxy S4 is the current flagship device of Samsung, which was updated to the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean just recently. Unlike for the Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Note 2, this update is not as substantial for the Galaxy S4 but it was an important update delivering the Galaxy Gear support and the Samsung KNOX. The Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update has been over for weeks already and fans have turned into the next update - the Android 4.4 KitKat.
Thus far, Samsung did not release any official statements about the Android 4.4 KitKat update but it does not have to. It is pretty clear that the update is coming soon as SFR, a French carrier, confirmed it. Although the carrier did not confirm a specific release date, it announced that the Galaxy S4 will have the Android 4.4 KitKat update in late January or early February.
Usually, carrier updates come after unbranded and unlocked updates, thus; we expect that the Android 4.4 KitKat will come to the Galaxy S4 few days from now.
Samsung Galaxy S3
The Galaxy S3 is already almost two years old and Google only recommends an 18-month software support rule. In fact, Google did not make Android 4.4 KitKat update for the Galaxy Nexus because of this rule.
A leak suggested that Samsung is planning the update for the Galaxy S3 in April but that is all we know about it now. Apart from this bit of information, the Galaxy S3 remains a popular device in the hands of millions of Samsung fans. In fact, it is one of the most popular devices in recent times and it is a bit surprising if Samsung will kill the software support already after the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Latest Nikon D750 Costs $2500, But The Full Frame Model Is Worth The Buy
- ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’: Sledgehammer Games Releases Launch Trailer, Smooth Multiplayer And Dedicated Servers
- Early Unofficial Android 5.0 Lollipop Port for Nexus 4
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘Halo': The Master Chief Collection, Updates And Preorder Details; 343 Industries Announces ‘Halo 2 Anniversary’ Documentary
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge