Among the teams in the playoff picture, the San Diego Chargers are the most unlikely team to join the postseason wars and will get a wildcard date with the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday. The Green Bay Packers, also not part of the picture weeks ago, play their wildcard game the same day when they host the surging San Francisco 49ers.
The Chargers have missed the postseason the last three years and had to win their final four games of this regular season despite just a 5-7 win-loss card in their first 12 games. The streak includes an overtime win over the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 17.
The Bengals are appearing in their four postseason in the last five years. Cincinnati won the AFC North after winning five of their last six games. They enter the wildcard round with blowout wins over Minnesota, 42-14, and Baltimore, 34-17.
Meanwhile, Green Bay got a timely boost with the return of star quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who led the squad got the must-win game versus the Chicago Bears, 33-28, in the final game of the regular season. The victory gave them the NFC North title and a match-up with the 49ers, which enter the wildcard with a six-game winning streak.
Betting Lines: San Diego Chargers vs. Cincinnati Bengals
Game time: 4:05 am AEDT (Jan 5, Sunday)
San Diego Chargers Trends
- Chargers are 7-3-1 ATS in their last 11 games on the road
- Chargers are 5-2-2 ATS in their last 9 games in January
- Chargers are 6-2 ATS in their last 8 games after an ATS loss
Cincinnati Bengals Trends
- Bengals are 5-1 ATS in their last 5 games
- Bengals are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games in the playoffs
- Bengals are 0-4 ATS in their last 4 games in the wildcard round
Most recent meeting (Dec 1, 2013):
Bengals def. Chargers, 17-10 (Andy Dalton: 190 yards, 14-of-23 completion,1 touchdown, 1 interception)
Betting Lines: San Francisco 49ers vs. Green Bay Packers
Game time: 7:40 am AEDT (Jan 5, Sunday)
San Francisco 49ers
- 49ers are 36-17-1 ATS in their last 54 games
- 49ers are 7-0 ATS in their last 7 games on the road
- 49ers are 10-4 ATS in their last 14 games vs. NFC teams
Green Bay Packers Trends
- Packers are 2-7 ATS in their last 9 games
- Packers are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games in the playoffs
- Packers are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games vs. NFC teams
Most recent meeting (Sept 8, 2013):
49ers def. Packers (Colin Kaepernick: 412 yards, 27-of-39 passing, 3 touchdowns)
First Round Bye - Carolina Panthers, Seattle Seahawks (Will face winners from wildcard round)
Live Streaming Info: Watch the Chargers vs. Bengals and 49ers vs. Packers with NFL Game Pass.
To contact the editor, e-mail: