Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 2 And Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat Updates: What To Expect
By Vanessa Francisco | January 3, 2014 3:22 PM EST
While Google announced its Android 4.4 KitKat update in September, it did not mention what devices would be onboard the update and waited until October to announce details about the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean replacement.
As expected, Android 4.4 KitKat was not a huge overhaul and only an incremental upgrade to build foundation from Android 4.3. It was a pleasant surprise for companies like Motorola, HTC and Sony which gave a lot of information about their updates. HTC even confirmed release dates, which are virtually unheard in the world of Android where companies usually stay silent about release details.
With leaks, Galaxy owners are getting a clear Android 4.4 KitKat update picture. Samsung's flagship device, the Galaxy S4, was recently updated to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, which was not as substantial to the Galaxy S4 as it was for the Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3. It was a major update with Smasung Gear support and Samsung KNOX, among others. French carrier SFR said the Galaxy S4 will receive Android 4.4 KitKat in late January or early February 2014.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is older than the Samsung Galaxy S4, turning two in May. While Samsung has not announced any update for the Galaxy S3, rumors and leaks are making rounds in the Internet. There was a leak suggesting that Samsung plans on sending the Android 4.4 KitKat update to the Galaxy S3 in April. Although Google advised companies to adhere to its 18-month software support rule, the Galaxy S3 is a very popular device in the hands of millions of users and it would be shocking if Samsung kills off support after Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat update is rumored for release in January so it looks like people will see the update rolling out in a few weeks. Samsung usually starts with the Galaxy S line before it rolls out to the Galaxy Note line so once the Galaxy S4 Android 4.4 KitKat starts, the Galaxy Note 3 update is expected to follow suit. The opposite is not expected.
Like the Galaxy Note 3 is expected to receive the Android 4.4 KitKat update alongside the Galaxy S4, the Galaxy Note 2 is expected to receive the update alongside the Galaxy S3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28