Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 2 And Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat Updates: What To Expect
By Vanessa Francisco | January 3, 2014 3:22 PM EST
While Google announced its Android 4.4 KitKat update in September, it did not mention what devices would be onboard the update and waited until October to announce details about the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean replacement.
As expected, Android 4.4 KitKat was not a huge overhaul and only an incremental upgrade to build foundation from Android 4.3. It was a pleasant surprise for companies like Motorola, HTC and Sony which gave a lot of information about their updates. HTC even confirmed release dates, which are virtually unheard in the world of Android where companies usually stay silent about release details.
With leaks, Galaxy owners are getting a clear Android 4.4 KitKat update picture. Samsung's flagship device, the Galaxy S4, was recently updated to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, which was not as substantial to the Galaxy S4 as it was for the Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3. It was a major update with Smasung Gear support and Samsung KNOX, among others. French carrier SFR said the Galaxy S4 will receive Android 4.4 KitKat in late January or early February 2014.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is older than the Samsung Galaxy S4, turning two in May. While Samsung has not announced any update for the Galaxy S3, rumors and leaks are making rounds in the Internet. There was a leak suggesting that Samsung plans on sending the Android 4.4 KitKat update to the Galaxy S3 in April. Although Google advised companies to adhere to its 18-month software support rule, the Galaxy S3 is a very popular device in the hands of millions of users and it would be shocking if Samsung kills off support after Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat update is rumored for release in January so it looks like people will see the update rolling out in a few weeks. Samsung usually starts with the Galaxy S line before it rolls out to the Galaxy Note line so once the Galaxy S4 Android 4.4 KitKat starts, the Galaxy Note 3 update is expected to follow suit. The opposite is not expected.
Like the Galaxy Note 3 is expected to receive the Android 4.4 KitKat update alongside the Galaxy S4, the Galaxy Note 2 is expected to receive the update alongside the Galaxy S3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- More ‘FIFA 15’ Issues Found in Companion App And Luis Suarez Ban; A PS4 Physical Disc Bundle Spotted
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Demo Distribution Method For Australia Revealed, More Info Coming
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’: New Trailer Shows Off Customisation As Rogue PC Version Gets Spotted In UPlay
- 'Super Smash Bros' For Nintendo 3DS XL Can Hamper Gaming Experience Due To More Resistant Circle Pad
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate