Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 2 And Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat Updates: What To Expect
By Vanessa Francisco | January 3, 2014 3:22 PM EST
While Google announced its Android 4.4 KitKat update in September, it did not mention what devices would be onboard the update and waited until October to announce details about the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean replacement.
As expected, Android 4.4 KitKat was not a huge overhaul and only an incremental upgrade to build foundation from Android 4.3. It was a pleasant surprise for companies like Motorola, HTC and Sony which gave a lot of information about their updates. HTC even confirmed release dates, which are virtually unheard in the world of Android where companies usually stay silent about release details.
With leaks, Galaxy owners are getting a clear Android 4.4 KitKat update picture. Samsung's flagship device, the Galaxy S4, was recently updated to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, which was not as substantial to the Galaxy S4 as it was for the Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3. It was a major update with Smasung Gear support and Samsung KNOX, among others. French carrier SFR said the Galaxy S4 will receive Android 4.4 KitKat in late January or early February 2014.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is older than the Samsung Galaxy S4, turning two in May. While Samsung has not announced any update for the Galaxy S3, rumors and leaks are making rounds in the Internet. There was a leak suggesting that Samsung plans on sending the Android 4.4 KitKat update to the Galaxy S3 in April. Although Google advised companies to adhere to its 18-month software support rule, the Galaxy S3 is a very popular device in the hands of millions of users and it would be shocking if Samsung kills off support after Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat update is rumored for release in January so it looks like people will see the update rolling out in a few weeks. Samsung usually starts with the Galaxy S line before it rolls out to the Galaxy Note line so once the Galaxy S4 Android 4.4 KitKat starts, the Galaxy Note 3 update is expected to follow suit. The opposite is not expected.
Like the Galaxy Note 3 is expected to receive the Android 4.4 KitKat update alongside the Galaxy S4, the Galaxy Note 2 is expected to receive the update alongside the Galaxy S3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- The Xperia Z3: A Review On Sony’s New Flagship
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy