Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Note 3, Note 2 Android 4.4 Update: 5 Things Expected to be Featured
By Ryan Inoyori | January 3, 2014 2:51 PM EST
Samsung plans to release an official Android 4.4 KitKat update for Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 in 2014. Based on leaked documents, the company sets January for its current flagship devices while March to April for yesteryear flagships. Here are five things owners should know before the update comes out.
Upgraded Security Features
Samsung provides a new secure environment for the Galaxy line with Knox security suite. It features Platform and Application security, Mobile Device Management and Samsung Knox for Enterprise to put convenience on IT departments.
In addition to added new features coming from Samsung on Android 4.4 update, Google's new Security-Enhanced Linux version adds hardened application sandboxes. The current Galaxy smartphone will get fresh protection against invaders and hackers.
Expanded Galaxy Gear Support
Galaxy S4 and Note 3 supports Galaxy Gear accessory, while Galaxy S3 and Note 2 can only be enabled if the device has been upgraded to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. An expanded Galaxy Gear support is something owners should expect with Android 4.4 software update that may allow access to updated features of the gear.
Moreover, an all-new Galaxy Gear support may be released with the KitKat update to enable these devices on managing Galaxy Gear 2, rumoured to become available this year.
Android 4.4 Features
Android 4.3 update delivered several enhancements to the Galaxy S4, Note 3, S3 and Note 2 such as new drivers, faster performance and better memory management. In Android 4.4 KitKat, owners will get additional features like Ok Google, Immersive Mode, Cloud Printing, Wireless Payment, Improved Multitasking, Native Google Apps and possibly HDR+ photography.
Within Android 4.4 KitKat, Samsung will bring new things on its own exclusive apps and services such as S Voice, S Translator, gestures, eye-dependent functionalities and upgraded camera. Owners can also expect an updated TouchWiz UI or an enabled system to receive a new one that will be featured in the Galaxy S5 this year.
Major Bug Fixes
Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 caused major issues that turned off many owners. Although fixed by Samsung, the expected official Android 4.4 KitKat coming out between March and April may have major bug fixes and system stability missing on previous updates due to the optimised environment of Android 4.4.
Aside from other things, the Galaxy S4, S3, Note 3 and Note 2 may receive few or several features exclusive only to the Galaxy S5 once Android 4.4 has become available - a similar thing it did with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean upgrade.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes