Pope Francis Attracted 6.6 Million Visitors to Vatican in 2013; 3X the Pilgrims in 2012 During the Reign of Pope Benedict XVI
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 3, 2014 1:57 PM EST
As if his Time Magazine Person of the Year award is not enough evidence, Vatican released on Thursday visitor data that confirmed Pope Francis is an extremely popular figure with the status of a celebrity or rock star.
Pope Francis has been named as Person of the Year for 2013 by Time magazine (Reuters)
Prayer is the Best Medicine, Says Pope Francis While Distributing 20,000 Rosaries in Pill Box (VIDEOS)
His rise to global popularity, just barely 10 months after his election as head of the 2 billion plus Roman Catholic Church, however, is not the handiwork of media buzz, but a translation of how his genuine faith and love radiates.
Thus, it surprises no one that in his 10-month reign, Pope Francis attracted over 6.6 million people to the Vatican, the seat of the Roman Catholic Church. It is almost thrice the 2.3 visitors who visited the Holy See in 2012, when the pontiff was still Pope Benedict XVI.
Pope Francis has been breaking records, including number of Twitter followers, but has also been breaching Vatican protocol which has endeared him more to the faithful.
The former Buenos Aires Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio is known to have taken public transport, refused the luxury cars used by his predecessor, cooked his own meals, opted for a simple accommodation than a palatial residence, sneaked out at night to give alms to the poor, washed the feet of prisoners, offered a Swiss guard a chair and snacks and hugged a severely disfigured man.
YouTube/Channel 4 News
The basis of the 6.6 million visitors released by the Vatican are the number of tickets issued for papal events such as general audiences, Masses and private audiences and also estimates of people at events where tickets are not required such as his weekly appearance from a window that overlooks St Peter's Square.
Because of the huge crowds that Pope Francis draws, with over 100,000 attendees during a general audience or Sunday address, Rome police have to close off the boulevard that leads to the Vatican to accommodate more pilgrims.
The tickets to these events are free, issued by Vatican's Prefecture of the Pontifical Household and often distributed via parishes and church institutions.
It excluded the numbers of people who attended his foreign or other local audiences such as the World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro and events in Assisi and Lampedusa in Italy. During the final event of his Brazil trip on July 28, an estimated 3 million attended the gathering on Copacabana Beach.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russians Feel Glut Over Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories on Downed Jet
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown