NBA Trade News: Houston Rockets Sending Center Omer Asik To Minnesota Timberwolves in Big Three-Team Trade
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 3, 2014 1:09 AM EST
With the trade deadline fast approaching, trade speculations surrounding Houston Rockets center Omer Asik continue to heat up, and the latest reports indicated the disgruntled center going to the Minnesota Timberwolves.
NBA: Los Angeles Clippers at Houston Rockets
The Rockets have been unsuccessful in moving Asik for quite some time since the Turkish center demanded a trade out of Houston two months ago.
Asik has been linked to several trade scenarios, including the recent three-team trade with Chicago Bulls and the Atlanta Hawks, and the Rockets-Celtics trade talk. However, no trade took place primarily because of the steep asking price by Rockets general manager Daryl Morey for the center.
Proposed Asik For Pekovic Trade
In the latest rumors on basketball forum Clutch Fans, the Minnesota Timberwolves are reportedly looking to trade Pekovic for a defensive-oriented center in Asik.
Despite putting more talent on their roster this season, the T-Wolves are struggling to crack into the playoff picture of a very competitive Western Conference standing. Many basketball analysts believed the Timberwolves only chance in making into the postseason is to improve their team defense, which currently ranks 25th in the league (102.5 points allowed per game).
Nikola Pekovic, who signed a 5-year, $60 million deal, has been solid for the T-Wolves at the center position, averaging 17.6 points and 9.1 points per game. But despite his consistency on the offensive end, Pekovic provides less impact on the defensive side of the floor.
Asik, who averaged at least 10 points, 11 rebounds and 1 block per game last year, is viewed by many general managers as one of the premier defensive bigmen in the league alongside Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler and Roy Hibbert.
The Turkish big man's ability to protect the rim and clog up the shaded lane will make the Timberwolves a more formidable team with All-Star forward Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio and Kevin Martin leading the charge.
For the trade to materialize, the Timberwolves need to find another team that will facilitate the deal because there's no way the Rockets would absorb Pekovic's huge contract. After all, the Rockets stressed they only wanted first-round draft picks in exchange for Asik from the start. Sources indicated the New Orleans Pelicans, Dallas Mavericks, Charlotte Bobcats and perhaps Brooklyn Nets could be the third team in the deal.
For more NBA Trade News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WWE SummerSlam Results & Highlights: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
- Australian BASE Jumper Killed in French Alps
- Splint-Free Rafael Nadal in Intense Practice for US Open Campaign
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display