New Year resolution
Life is made of simple things. And the little things that we do can make a lot of difference not just in our lives but in others' as well. The New Year is the time when everyone has a long list of things but how about trying the simple things, to make that change we all crave for.
Think about it - it's Happy New Year 2014. When was the last time you sent a hand written letter to somebody or, for that matter, spend some quality time with your family without 'texting somebody' or receiving office calls.
Here is a list of the simple, easy things that we tend to overlook. Try these New Year resolutions:
- You want to be fit, but don't have time. Make your New Year #LittleResolutions to take the stairs instead of elevators and escalators.
- Global warming is serious. Why not instead trying walking or cycling to work sometimes. You can also save on gas. #KwikResolution
- Love yourself more and quit smoking!
- Want to spend quality time with friends? Say to no to phones, or better - just stack up your phones during lunch or dinner dates. First one to check the phone pays the bill.
- Write at least one handwritten letter to somebody in a month.
- Cook at home more often, it will not only keep you healthy but also will help you learn new skills and even save money.
- Take some 'me' time out once in a while. Enjoy a nice meal in seclusion.
- Read at least one book a month.
- Keep away that credit card for emergencies; use cash as often as you can.
- Want to have a healthy mind? Stop gossiping and don't even encourage others, it will surely make you a better person.
- Don't be lazy, floss daily.
- Spend quality time with family as much as possible.
- Learn to segregate waste at home; and when outside, don't litter.
- Don't be an 'Yes man,' it's ok to say 'No' at times. Or if you are a boo boo, say 'yes' sometimes and breakaway from your comfort zone, to try something different.
- Drink more water. If you are a caffeine addict, try Green Tea.
- Save energy.
- Be good to everyone, even the mean ones.
- Try a new hobby or learn a new craft.
- Listen to music as often as you can. It is therapy for a peaceful soul.
- Grow a simple garden, start with herbs.
- As the great Chinese philosopher Confucius says, 'Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.' In short, keep it simple.
Let your New Year resolution be about finding yourself. Yesteryears actor Cyril Cusack, when asked about his New Year resolution, once said: "If you asked me for my New Year resolution, it would be to find out who I am."
In a time, when our lives are fast getting caught in a web of busyness and pettiness, another inspiring quote on New Year resolution by American naturalist and essayist John Burroughs is relevant: "One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: to rise above the little things."
To conclude, as Randy Pausch, the American computer professor, once said: "Follow your passions, believe in karma, and you won't have to chase your dreams; they will come to you."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: