30 Hurricane Katrina Homes Built by Brad Pitt’s Make It Right Charity Now Rotting from the Inside Out [WATCH]
By Janice Somosot | January 2, 2014 8:09 PM EST
30 Hurricane Katrina homes that were built by Brad Pitt's Make It Right charity in the Lower 9th Ward in New Orleans, Louisiana (LA) are now reportedly rotting from the inside out.
According to RadarOnline, some of the Make It Right homeowners have confirmed the unfortunate news.
"The wood turned gray and it was also black," said Make It Right homeowner Nola Verrett in the RadarOnline report.
"Also some parts it was buckling and it had mushrooms growing out of it. Different neighborhoods saw it too," Verrett added.
Verrett has since replaced the wood in her home with yellow pine.
Make It Right representative Taylor Royle spoke to the New Orleans Advocate about the rotting homes. She said that this happened because they used a special kind of glass-and-wood blend non-burning lumber from a wood company called TimberSIL. Apparently, this kind of lumber is not designed for areas with lots of moisture, like Louisiana.
"It was unable to withstand moisture, which is obviously a big problem in New Orleans," said Royle in the New Orleans Advocate report.
Brad Pitt's Make It Right charity foundation built 100 energy-efficient homes in New Orleans' Lower 9th Ward because this area was decimated by the powerful Hurricane Katrina that ravaged Louisiana in August 2005. According to Wikipedia, the cost of Hurricane Katrina's damage amounted to $108 billion USD, which makes it the costliest hurricane in the U.S.
TimberSIL claims in its Web site that its product, the TimberSIL® Glass Wood, is made up of non-toxic glass to protect the wood from rot, fire, and insect damage. Check out TimberSIL's video demonstration of it below.
CREDIT: YouTube/Matt Forsythe
Brad Pitt's Make It Right charity foundation is said to be considering legal action against TimberSIL because the company guaranteed that the TimberSIL® Glass Wood that was used to build the Hurricane Katrina homes were guaranteed not to rot or be damaged by insect and fire for 40 years. To address the rotting problem, Make It Right will fix the homes that were affected by replacing the TimberSIL® Glass Wood that was previously used with another high quality wood. According to the Make It right representatives, it will cost the charity $150,000 for the replacement of the wood. Once the changes are made, let's hope that this time, it will not rot from the inside out anymore and will last much longer. Both Make It Right and TimberSil did not respond to RadarOnline's requests for comment about this.
Check out the video below of Lloyd Griffin who was the first resident of Brad Pitt's Make it Right charity house project in the 9th Ward of New Orleans, Louisiana.
CREDIT: YouTube/Julie dermansky
Click HERE to learn more about Brad Pitt's Make It Right charity and its work in New Orleans.
- READ MORE:
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Miraval Wine in Top 100 Wines of 2013 (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Microsoft To Have Its Own Retail Outlet in Manhattan
- Telstra To Convert Old Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- #Bendgate Video Hits Almost 46 Million In 5 Days, But Impact On Apple’s Finances Minimal
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build