Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams Semi-Finals Showdown at Brisbane International
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 2, 2014 6:44 PM EST
Maria Sharapova eases into the semi-finals of the Brisbane International after defeating Kaia Kanepi. Sharapova triumphed over the Estonian athlete with 4-6, 6-3, 6-2. She will face long-time rival Serena Williams, who beat Dominika Cibulkova in two straight sets, 6-3, 6-3, in the semi-finals of the said tournament.
Kevin Lamarque / Reuters
Maria Sharapova US Open 2006 Maria Sharapova seems to wear unusual outfits occasionally out of sheer boredom. Here, she dressed up for a night on the town in New York City, complete with sequins.
There is no doubt that the Queensland crowd will be treated with an epic showdown between Sharapova and Williams in the semi-finals match which will take place on Friday. Their rivalry is one of the most celebrated rivalries in modern tennis, on and off the tennis court.
Sharapova: Brisbane International Matches are "Extremely Important"
The beautiful Russian athlete continued her winning streak in her competitive comeback from injury at the Brisbane International. She first defeated Carolina Garcia of France during the first round match held on Monday evening. She was supposed to meet Australian Ashleigh Barty, but the match did not take place due to Barty's small tear in her left abductor. Sharapova, then, faced Kanepi in the second round match. She lost in the first round but managed to bag the victory in second and third rounds.
"It's been four months," said Sharapova in an interview after her first round match. "It was a big step for me. She revealed that she felt good during the match and felt no pain at all. "These matches are what I came here for," she added. "No matter the opponent or the situation, you know, they're really priceless for me at this point, and extremely important," Sharapova said.
Top-ranked Williams at the Brisbane International
Williams started the 2014 Brisbane with her victory over Andrea Petkovic, 6-4 6-4, and she is indeed focused on having a better 2014 season, even though she already did well during the 2013 season.
"It was an intense match," said Williams after defeating Petkovic. "It was a good match for me," she added.
She, then, downed Slovakia's Dominica Cibulkova in two straight sets. Williams dominated the match and never let Cibulkova come back in the set at every phase. Williams had met Cibulkova three times, where she won all matches.
Sharapova and Williams definitely mean business in Brisbane International. Who will prevail in their semi-finals match?
Click here to see the head-to-head stats of Sharapova and Williams as reported by MatchStat.com
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date