Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams Semi-Finals Showdown at Brisbane International
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 2, 2014 6:44 PM EST
Maria Sharapova eases into the semi-finals of the Brisbane International after defeating Kaia Kanepi. Sharapova triumphed over the Estonian athlete with 4-6, 6-3, 6-2. She will face long-time rival Serena Williams, who beat Dominika Cibulkova in two straight sets, 6-3, 6-3, in the semi-finals of the said tournament.
Kevin Lamarque / Reuters
Maria Sharapova US Open 2006 Maria Sharapova seems to wear unusual outfits occasionally out of sheer boredom. Here, she dressed up for a night on the town in New York City, complete with sequins.
There is no doubt that the Queensland crowd will be treated with an epic showdown between Sharapova and Williams in the semi-finals match which will take place on Friday. Their rivalry is one of the most celebrated rivalries in modern tennis, on and off the tennis court.
Sharapova: Brisbane International Matches are "Extremely Important"
The beautiful Russian athlete continued her winning streak in her competitive comeback from injury at the Brisbane International. She first defeated Carolina Garcia of France during the first round match held on Monday evening. She was supposed to meet Australian Ashleigh Barty, but the match did not take place due to Barty's small tear in her left abductor. Sharapova, then, faced Kanepi in the second round match. She lost in the first round but managed to bag the victory in second and third rounds.
"It's been four months," said Sharapova in an interview after her first round match. "It was a big step for me. She revealed that she felt good during the match and felt no pain at all. "These matches are what I came here for," she added. "No matter the opponent or the situation, you know, they're really priceless for me at this point, and extremely important," Sharapova said.
Top-ranked Williams at the Brisbane International
Williams started the 2014 Brisbane with her victory over Andrea Petkovic, 6-4 6-4, and she is indeed focused on having a better 2014 season, even though she already did well during the 2013 season.
"It was an intense match," said Williams after defeating Petkovic. "It was a good match for me," she added.
She, then, downed Slovakia's Dominica Cibulkova in two straight sets. Williams dominated the match and never let Cibulkova come back in the set at every phase. Williams had met Cibulkova three times, where she won all matches.
Sharapova and Williams definitely mean business in Brisbane International. Who will prevail in their semi-finals match?
Click here to see the head-to-head stats of Sharapova and Williams as reported by MatchStat.com
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June