Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams Semi-Finals Showdown at Brisbane International
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 2, 2014 6:44 PM EST
Maria Sharapova eases into the semi-finals of the Brisbane International after defeating Kaia Kanepi. Sharapova triumphed over the Estonian athlete with 4-6, 6-3, 6-2. She will face long-time rival Serena Williams, who beat Dominika Cibulkova in two straight sets, 6-3, 6-3, in the semi-finals of the said tournament.
Kevin Lamarque / Reuters
Maria Sharapova US Open 2006 Maria Sharapova seems to wear unusual outfits occasionally out of sheer boredom. Here, she dressed up for a night on the town in New York City, complete with sequins.
There is no doubt that the Queensland crowd will be treated with an epic showdown between Sharapova and Williams in the semi-finals match which will take place on Friday. Their rivalry is one of the most celebrated rivalries in modern tennis, on and off the tennis court.
Sharapova: Brisbane International Matches are "Extremely Important"
The beautiful Russian athlete continued her winning streak in her competitive comeback from injury at the Brisbane International. She first defeated Carolina Garcia of France during the first round match held on Monday evening. She was supposed to meet Australian Ashleigh Barty, but the match did not take place due to Barty's small tear in her left abductor. Sharapova, then, faced Kanepi in the second round match. She lost in the first round but managed to bag the victory in second and third rounds.
"It's been four months," said Sharapova in an interview after her first round match. "It was a big step for me. She revealed that she felt good during the match and felt no pain at all. "These matches are what I came here for," she added. "No matter the opponent or the situation, you know, they're really priceless for me at this point, and extremely important," Sharapova said.
Top-ranked Williams at the Brisbane International
Williams started the 2014 Brisbane with her victory over Andrea Petkovic, 6-4 6-4, and she is indeed focused on having a better 2014 season, even though she already did well during the 2013 season.
"It was an intense match," said Williams after defeating Petkovic. "It was a good match for me," she added.
She, then, downed Slovakia's Dominica Cibulkova in two straight sets. Williams dominated the match and never let Cibulkova come back in the set at every phase. Williams had met Cibulkova three times, where she won all matches.
Sharapova and Williams definitely mean business in Brisbane International. Who will prevail in their semi-finals match?
Click here to see the head-to-head stats of Sharapova and Williams as reported by MatchStat.com
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop