NBA Trade News: Houston Rockets Revive Blockbuster Trade Involving Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik and Luol Deng
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 2, 2014 12:41 PM EST
Jeremy Lin could go to the Chicago Bulls after all. According to a league source, the Houston Rockets have reportedly revived talks on a three-team blockbuster deal with the Bulls and the Atlanta Hawks.
Jeremy Lin is featured in the latest "This is SportsCenter" commercial.
In a recent report by the Latino Post, the Rockets reportedly received another inquiry from the Bulls regarding the availability of Lin, who was currently promoted back as a starter to fill the void left by injured guard Patrick Beverley.
"According to FOX Sports, the Bulls have inquired about trading for Lin in exchange for Luol Deng, with the Hawks being a possible destination for Asik," Sports Illustrated Fan Sided reported last week.
In the trade, the Bulls will receive Lin, the Rockets will receive Deng and likely a first-round pick, and the Hawks finally get a defensive big man in Omer Asik.
The trade scenario was reportedly explored few weeks ago, but talks did not gain any traction because Lin was still recovering from a sprained knee injury.
After Effect of the Trade
Lin averaged just 14 points and 4 assists this season, though he proved he can produce more when given enough playing time on the floor. Through the first one and half month of their campaign, Lin actually averaged 18 points and 7 assists per game for the Rockets despite coming off the bench. His 34-point, 12-assist performance against the Philadelphia 76ers has been the highlight of his 2013-14 season so far.
Lin's inclusion to the Bulls' lineup will provide the team a solid scorer and ball distributor. After learning Derrick Rose will sit out the remainder of the season with another knee injury, the Bulls signed D.J. Augustin right away to fill up the gaping hole in their backcourt.
Despite Augustin's strong play as of late, the Bulls are still in deep need of a player capable of carrying the scoring load at the crucial stretches of the game. Lin apparently can assume the role as the team's premier backcourt player until Rose is healthy enough to make his return.
On the other hand, the Hawks will receive an outstanding rim protector in Asik, who had a breakout year last season as he averaged 10.1 points, 11 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks per game for the Rockets. Meanwhile, the Rockets will get a feisty defender and proven points contributor in Deng.
The 6-foot-9 Deng is considered one of the premier wing defenders in the league, but his ability to put up a decent statistical in a nightly basis will make the Rockets even more formidable in the postseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown