Boxing News: Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao Agree to Mega-Fight in 2014, Source Says
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 2, 2014 11:08 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao have already booked a date to settle the score once and for all. According to a source close to situation, the megabuck showdown between Money May and the Pacman will finally take place in September 2014 after several failed attempts to arrange the biggest match in boxing history.
Floyd Mayweather is scheduled to fight Manny Pacquiao in Sept.
According to Latino Post, Youtube Boxing channel 78Sports TV reported that the Mayweather vs. Pacquiao showdown is already a done deal. The source, who disclosed insider's information about Mayweather's upcoming fights with Robert Guerrero and Saul Canelo Alvarez before these bouts were actually announced, indicated that Money May has already agreed to terms with Pacquiao.
"Great news in the world of boxing. He [the source] is telling me that Floyd and Manny Pacquiao will be fighting in 2014 guaranteed and it's already done," the 78Sports anchor said in his 16-minute commentary on Youtube. "Everything else that you will see will be just theatrics from here on out. But the fight is already done"
Finally - The Showdown of the Century
The boxing world has been clamouring for the megabuck fight over the last five to six years. Disputes over blood testing and fight-purse sharing had been the stumbling blocks to get the fight done in the past. But now, it appears that Mayweather and his camp has had a change of heart, allowing Pacquiao to emerge as enticing opponent for the undefeated American boxer.
Two weeks ago, Mayweather stressed that he won't give Pacquiao any shot at his belts primarily because of the Filipino boxing star's association with Bob Arum's Top-Rank promotions.
"We all know the Pacquiao fight, at this particular time, will never happen, and the reason why the fight won't happen is because I will never do business with Bob Arum again in life, and Pacquiao is Bob Arum's fighter," Mayweather told FightHype.com.
"Bob Arum gives Pacquiao a date, whereas Floyd Mayweather gives Floyd Mayweather his own date. I will be fighting again in May and I will be fighting again in September."
However, there are rumours circulating that Pacquiao will be fighting Mayweather as a free-agent without any backings from Top-Rank promotions. The Pacman is under contract with Top-Rank until the end of 2014, though he could be represented by MP Promotions for that specific fight alone.
On the other hand, Mayweather is expected to announce his opponent in his May 3 event in MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan is the favourite to take on the Grand Rapids native in his Cinco de Mayo offering, but Marcos Maidana and Pacquiao have also gained momentum in the Money May sweepstakes, following their sensational wins in their latest bouts.
Maidana is fresh from a 12-round unanimous decision upset of pound-for-pound fighter Adrien Broner, while Pacquiao peppered Brandon Rios on his way to a unanimous decision victory inNovember in Macau, China.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy