Over 2 Million Aussies Watch New Year Fireworks Display at Sydney Harbour (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 2, 2014 10:10 AM EST
An estimated 2 million Australians viewed the famous New Year fireworks display on Tuesday night at Sydney Harbour, exceeding the initial anticipated crowd of 1.6 million people.
The Sydney Morning Herald reports that as early as Tuesday morning, the good spots were taken and full as Aussies came in droves with outdoor chairs and reserved the prime areas. By 5 pm, eight places around the Royal Botanic Gardens, Circular Quay and the north shore were full and closed to people, according to the Transport Management Centre.
Fireworks explode over Sydney Harbour at midnight, ushering in the new year, in Sydney
The latecomers were turned away, including from the Blues Point Reserve that looked like a tent city. As a result of the record crowd, revelers headed to the reserve at McMahons Point were redirected to Bradfield Park under the Harbour Bridge at Kirribilli.
The fireworks display, which has as its theme "Shine," was designed by artist Reg Mombassa who painted the sky with different celestial shapes and movements. It stood 12 storeys high and 72 metres across, weighing 60 tonnes and needing 16 kilometres of light rope, 4 kilometres of electrical cable and 10,000 cable ties to hold the fireworks display in place.
Sydney was one of the first cities in the world to usher in 2014, although the first major city was Auckland in New Zealand where the fireworks display was launched from the landmark SkyCity tower.
While the fireworks display was dazzling the thousands of Kiwis on the country's financial centre, revelers danced on the streets.
Spectacular New Year's Eve fireworks displays were observed in major global cities such as New York, Berlin and Rio de Janeiro, although the record breaker was at the Burj Khalifa in Dubai which made it to the Guinness World Record for the largest fireworks display.
YouTube/Pak News Serial
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots
- Canada’s Toronto Files Injunction Against Uber Ridesharing Service Provider
- Sex Mountain: Mass Ritual Of Adulterous Sex Brings Wealth, Pilgrims Believe
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit