Lorde Dislikes Being Called 'Teen Hottie'
By Jesselle Maminta | December 31, 2013 3:16 PM EST
'The phrase 'teen hottie' literally makes me want to throw up.'
That is what Lorde says to Jon Pareles of New York Times during an interview over Skype about her latest achievements and the topics of the songs she writes.
Lorde claims in the same interview that teenagers like her 'are more complex than people think.' This is considering the fact that most of the songs she wrote were about teenage life, yet it sounded far from the teenybopper songs prevalent among teenage singers.
She says that even her collaborator, producer Joel Little, 'has no idea to this day what I'm talking about (in the album.)'
It can also be noted that unlike most teenage singers, Lorde's album "Pure Heroine" does not have any love songs in it. She says that it's her deliberate choice not to do so.
'Some people love writing about that, and that's fine. But I personally haven't found a way to do it yet which is innovative and feels new to me,'says the Kiwi singer.
Don't get her wrong, though. Lorde claims she's a 'pop princess at heart' and at one time praised Miley Cyrus's song "Wrecking Ball." However, Lorde describes pop as something about 'distilling what you want to say and making it easy. And the way I write isn't about making things easy.'
Jason Flom of Lava Records once said that 'no one's ever going to tell (Lorde) what to say.' True enough, Lorde maintains control over her image and packaging as an artist.
'I would like to think that my public persona comes naturally to me and isn't that dissimilar to my real way of doing things,' explained Lorde, adding, 'I've turned down easily tens of millions of dollars doing what I do and saying no to things that I think are corny.'
After all, Lorde herself encourages her listeners to think that the sky's the limit.
'There's really not anything you can't do. After all, I'm from New Zealand. This shouldn't happen to people like me,' says Lorde last.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft