Hollywood News: Carly Rae Jepsen to Make Broadway Debut in 'Cinderella' in 2014
By ambika thakur | December 30, 2013 9:44 PM EST
Carly Rae Jepsen, the Mission, B.C. singer all is set to make her Broadway debut in Rodgers & Hammerstein's "Cinderella" opening on February 4,2013. "Call Me Maybe," hit maker will step into the title role of "Cinderella" replacing Laura Osnes.
Her remarkable hit "Call Me Maybe," turned her into an overnight superstar following its release as the lead single from the EP on September 20, 2011, by 604 Records and appeared in her international debut album entitled Kiss. In January 2012, former couple singers Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez were in Canada for the holidays and took notice of the song on the radio. The couple liked the song so much that they tweeted about it on their personal profiles, Jepsen instantaneously grabbed worldwide interest.
"Broadway has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl and I look forward to working with this incredibly talented cast to tell this classic tale," said Jepsen. The 28-year-old singer is going to literally take the Cinderella like story of her success one step ahead with this venture. Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, enters the second year of its run on January 25. Although she appeared in high school productions of Annie entitled, "The Wizard Grease" Cinderella will mark her professional stage debut. She studied acting, singing, and dancing at the Canadian College of Performing Arts in Victoria, British Columbia.
"My favourite part of the school year was our trip to New York, where we met Broadway performers and toured the theatres," stated Jepsen to media. "It's so hopeful and inspiring I've always been one to believe in the impossible, so I relate to her character completely."
Jepsen will star in the show for twelve weeks before the singer returns to the pop concert touring circuit later this year.
The star revealed in an interview with HELLO! Online how she stays grounded after success and handles the pressure of stardom: "I'd say you should try to be open-minded and be open to different things. I was very experimental and tried out lots of different genres - I sang with a swing band at one point, I tried out folk music and I went on Canadian Idol even though I felt that that was something that wouldn't be helpful at all. My main advice is just to knock on as many doors as you can because you never really know which one is going to open for you. You should be prepared so that when one does open, you can take all the stuff you know about yourself and what you've learnt so that you can push it forward."
"There are loads of things, I could write you a novel! I think the main thing would be to how crazy LA can be. I'm really lucky to have had some amazing friends out there who showed me the grounding side of it and then the fake side of it. Hopefully I've landed with the right side," continued Jepsen.
Watch:Carly Rae Jepsen Heads to Broadway Next Year
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch