Lorde Talks About Pop, Hates Being Called A ‘Teen Hottie’
By Anne Lu | December 30, 2013 5:53 PM EST
Don’t call Lorde a “teen hottie” lest you’d want to see her throw up. The 17-year-old New Zealand breakout star has spoken about being a “pop princess at heart” in a new interview, saying that she can’t stand being called a hottie.
She might appear uptight compared to her contemporaries in the music industry, and that’s probably true. But that’s not an act. Lorde said she still maintains control over how she is packaged and presented, even turning down an obscene amount of cash just to stay true to herself.
“I would like to think that my public persona comes naturally to me and isn’t that dissimilar to my real way of doing things,” she continued. “I’ve turned down easily millions of dollars doing what I do and saying no to things that I think are corny.”
As for her music, the Grammy-nominated artist said she writes lyrics that she believes her generation can relate to.
“I’m trying to make something people my age will care about, trying to keep my peers feeling like I’m doing something for them or representing them in some way.”
Case in point, her chart-topping “Royals” is about middle-class kids such as herself who fantasise of the opulent lifestyle that they see celebrities have.
Also, her current single “Team” is based on “the idea of an outsider experiencing this world that is inhabited by teens, seeing it like someone on the outside would see it and then getting more and more involved.”
She also expressed her love for pop music, saying she’s a “pop princess at heart,” but her own brand is just a bit different.
“Some people love writing about that, and that’s fine,” she said of love songs. “But I personally haven’t found a way to do it yet which is innovative and feels new to me.”
Meanwhile, the Kiwi schoolgirl is nominated for four Grammy Awards. “Royals” is up for Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Pop Solo Performance, while her album “Pure Heroine” is nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up