Miley Cyrus Talks about Her Controversial Year in 2013 [WATCH]
By Janice Somosot | December 30, 2013 5:34 PM EST
Miley Cyrus talked to the New York Times about her controversial year in 2013 which was filled with crazy antics such as twerking, sticking out her tongue, skimpy outfits, bleached eyebrows and her outrageous music videos for her singles "Wrecking Ball" and "Adore You" from the album "Bangerz."
A lot of people were shocked by Miley's transformation from cookie cutter and clean-cut Disney girl who starred in the hit show 'Hannah Montana," to the current sexier and edgier version. Obviously, Miley wanted to make a statement and to finally step out of the "Hannah Montana" and Disney shadows as well as her own father's country star image. What better way to do it than to dress and act provocatively, right?
Miley spoke with the New York Times while she was staying at the Four Seasons Hotel in New York. She was candid and goofy, but also businesslike. She talked about drugs, her musical career, her fans, critics and her MTV documentary "Miley: The Movement."
"It's actually really funny how many people could watch my performance, and they think it was, like, sexist and degrading to women, and somehow people found that it was racist, which I couldn't even wrap my mind around. Because I'm like: "How do I win? If I have white dancers, then I'm racist. If I have black girl dancers, then I'm racist," lamented Miley in the New York Times interview.
"I know I'm not putting down women."
"I'm telling women be whoever you want to be," she added.
In the grand tradition of Disney girls gone bad, Miley is another example of a rebellious young girl who was thrust in the spotlight at a young age, became successful and experienced being pulled in different directions, until she finally breaks and decides to go against the image that was planned for her by her manager or handlers. It happened to Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Lindsay Lohan and Amanda Bynes who were all Disney stars!
Miley's antics seem like a requisite rite of passage for young and misguided pop stars. Let's hope that her strategic career moves and her venture into the "dark" side will be worth it and she will achieve the great success, recognition, respect and career longevity that any artist longs for, including herself.
Click HERE to check out Miley's full interview with the New York Times.
CREDIT: YouTube/Random Videos
- READ MORE:
Miley Cyrus Bleached Her Eyebrows: Posted Pics with Miranda Kerr and Lily Allen [PHOTOS] [VIDEO] (Click HERE)
Miley Cyrus Scores Both #1 Single & Album in the UK for 'Wrecking Ball' and 'Bangerz' (Click HERE) To contact the editor, e-mail:
Miley Cyrus Scores Both #1 Single & Album in the UK for 'Wrecking Ball' and 'Bangerz' (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers for Sept. 1-5, 2014: Sabrina Seeks Revenge
- 5 Seconds of Summer Calum Hood's D--K Vine Video Goes Viral
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Jessica Lange Says New Season ‘Most Extraordinary’
- Anna Paquin Says She Took Home ‘Cute, English Dude’ Stephen Moyer From The Set Of “True Blood”
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Spoilers: Enzo To Have A Makeout Scene, Speculations Suggest Enzo and Caroline Get Cozy In New Season
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide