Miley Cyrus Talks about Her Controversial Year in 2013 [WATCH]
By Janice Somosot | December 30, 2013 5:34 PM EST
Miley Cyrus talked to the New York Times about her controversial year in 2013 which was filled with crazy antics such as twerking, sticking out her tongue, skimpy outfits, bleached eyebrows and her outrageous music videos for her singles "Wrecking Ball" and "Adore You" from the album "Bangerz."
A lot of people were shocked by Miley's transformation from cookie cutter and clean-cut Disney girl who starred in the hit show 'Hannah Montana," to the current sexier and edgier version. Obviously, Miley wanted to make a statement and to finally step out of the "Hannah Montana" and Disney shadows as well as her own father's country star image. What better way to do it than to dress and act provocatively, right?
Miley spoke with the New York Times while she was staying at the Four Seasons Hotel in New York. She was candid and goofy, but also businesslike. She talked about drugs, her musical career, her fans, critics and her MTV documentary "Miley: The Movement."
"It's actually really funny how many people could watch my performance, and they think it was, like, sexist and degrading to women, and somehow people found that it was racist, which I couldn't even wrap my mind around. Because I'm like: "How do I win? If I have white dancers, then I'm racist. If I have black girl dancers, then I'm racist," lamented Miley in the New York Times interview.
"I know I'm not putting down women."
"I'm telling women be whoever you want to be," she added.
In the grand tradition of Disney girls gone bad, Miley is another example of a rebellious young girl who was thrust in the spotlight at a young age, became successful and experienced being pulled in different directions, until she finally breaks and decides to go against the image that was planned for her by her manager or handlers. It happened to Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Lindsay Lohan and Amanda Bynes who were all Disney stars!
Miley's antics seem like a requisite rite of passage for young and misguided pop stars. Let's hope that her strategic career moves and her venture into the "dark" side will be worth it and she will achieve the great success, recognition, respect and career longevity that any artist longs for, including herself.
Click HERE to check out Miley's full interview with the New York Times.
CREDIT: YouTube/Random Videos
- READ MORE:
Miley Cyrus Bleached Her Eyebrows: Posted Pics with Miranda Kerr and Lily Allen [PHOTOS] [VIDEO] (Click HERE)
Miley Cyrus Scores Both #1 Single & Album in the UK for 'Wrecking Ball' and 'Bangerz' (Click HERE) To contact the editor, e-mail:
Miley Cyrus Scores Both #1 Single & Album in the UK for 'Wrecking Ball' and 'Bangerz' (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best