Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao To Meet Floyd Mayweather Jr in January; Pacman Parting Ways with Bob Arum?
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 30, 2013 1:39 AM EST
Eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao will reportedly fly to the United States this January in an attempt to set up a meeting with Floyd Mayweather Jr and his camp and finally arrange a showdown between them next year, a source close to situation reported on Saturday.
Hungry for a big fight following his 12-round demolition of Brandon Rios last November, Pacquiao is gunning for the big one as he looks to settle his score with the undefeated American boxer once and for all.
The 35-year old Pacquiao did not mince any word in expressing his intention of fighting the universally-recognized best pound-for-pound boxer despite Money May's firm stance not to fight a 'left over' opponent.
"That would be a great fight [with Mayweather], a great match up," Pacquiao told the Manila Bulletin about his long-due matchup with the Grand Rapid native.
Mayweather, who previously refused to step in the ring with Pacquiao because of disputes over blood testing and fight purse-sharing, insisted that the showdown with Pacman won't happen anytime soon because of the Filipino's association with Top-Rank promoter Bob Arum.
"We all know the Pacquiao fight, at this particular time, will never happen, and the reason why the fight won't happen is because I will never do business with Bob Arum again in life, and Pacquiao is Bob Arum's fighter," Mayweather told FightHype.com via the Telegraph.
"Bob Arum gives Pacquiao a date, whereas Floyd Mayweather gives Floyd Mayweather his own date. I will be fighting again in May and I will be fighting again in September," he added.
Mayweather also laughed at the pay-per-view results of Pacquiao's latest fight against Rios. Pacquiao vs. Rios reportedly just garnered around 500,000 PPB buys, one of the lowest PPV outcomes ever since Pacman landed a deal with HBO Boxing.
"And I want to see Manny Pacquiao's real pay-per-view numbers. Get his pay-per-view numbers from his last fight and compare them to my pay-per-view numbers with Canelo Alvarez. Did he do 1.2 million homes? Has he done 1 million homes?," Mayweather said.
Negotiation To Take Place
There are rumours on a number of boxing forums that Pacquiao has already booked a flight to the United States, and his main purpose there is to meet Mayweather personally. Moreover, there are some reports that Pacquiao will be representing only himself during the meeting, without any backings from the Top-Rank promotions.
Top-Rank locked in Pacquiao until 2014, but the Filipino slugger can enter into a negotiation with Mayweather promotions as free agent for this specific fight alone. It would be interesting to see if Pacquiao's camp can come into terms with Mayweather to make the fight of the century happen next year.
For more Boxing News and Manny Pacquiao next fight, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements