Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao To Meet Floyd Mayweather Jr in January; Pacman Parting Ways with Bob Arum?
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 30, 2013 1:39 AM EST
Eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao will reportedly fly to the United States this January in an attempt to set up a meeting with Floyd Mayweather Jr and his camp and finally arrange a showdown between them next year, a source close to situation reported on Saturday.
Hungry for a big fight following his 12-round demolition of Brandon Rios last November, Pacquiao is gunning for the big one as he looks to settle his score with the undefeated American boxer once and for all.
The 35-year old Pacquiao did not mince any word in expressing his intention of fighting the universally-recognized best pound-for-pound boxer despite Money May's firm stance not to fight a 'left over' opponent.
"That would be a great fight [with Mayweather], a great match up," Pacquiao told the Manila Bulletin about his long-due matchup with the Grand Rapid native.
Mayweather, who previously refused to step in the ring with Pacquiao because of disputes over blood testing and fight purse-sharing, insisted that the showdown with Pacman won't happen anytime soon because of the Filipino's association with Top-Rank promoter Bob Arum.
"We all know the Pacquiao fight, at this particular time, will never happen, and the reason why the fight won't happen is because I will never do business with Bob Arum again in life, and Pacquiao is Bob Arum's fighter," Mayweather told FightHype.com via the Telegraph.
"Bob Arum gives Pacquiao a date, whereas Floyd Mayweather gives Floyd Mayweather his own date. I will be fighting again in May and I will be fighting again in September," he added.
Mayweather also laughed at the pay-per-view results of Pacquiao's latest fight against Rios. Pacquiao vs. Rios reportedly just garnered around 500,000 PPB buys, one of the lowest PPV outcomes ever since Pacman landed a deal with HBO Boxing.
"And I want to see Manny Pacquiao's real pay-per-view numbers. Get his pay-per-view numbers from his last fight and compare them to my pay-per-view numbers with Canelo Alvarez. Did he do 1.2 million homes? Has he done 1 million homes?," Mayweather said.
Negotiation To Take Place
There are rumours on a number of boxing forums that Pacquiao has already booked a flight to the United States, and his main purpose there is to meet Mayweather personally. Moreover, there are some reports that Pacquiao will be representing only himself during the meeting, without any backings from the Top-Rank promotions.
Top-Rank locked in Pacquiao until 2014, but the Filipino slugger can enter into a negotiation with Mayweather promotions as free agent for this specific fight alone. It would be interesting to see if Pacquiao's camp can come into terms with Mayweather to make the fight of the century happen next year.
For more Boxing News and Manny Pacquiao next fight, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border