NBA Trade News: Los Angeles Lakers Could Sign Hedo Turkoglu Once Waived by Orlando Magic
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 27, 2013 3:53 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers could make a run at veteran forward Hedo Turkoglu once he agrees to a buyout with the Orlando Magic.
The Lakers are still in search for talents as their key stars Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash continue to battle with their respective injuries. Last week, the Lakers signed second-year point guard Kendall Marshall to address their backcourt problems.
Still, the purple-and-gold franchise doesn't have enough firepower to make it into the top-8 of a very competitive Western Conference playoff race. With Bryant missing at least six more weeks due to an injured knee, the Lakers' playoff hope will heavily rely on ageing power forward Pau Gasol and a bunch of NBA journeymen such Kevin Young, Xavier Henry and Jodie Meeks.
Turkoglu In Hollywood?
According to Sports Illustrated Marc Weinreich, the Magic and Turkoglu have already come up with a buyout agreement and this is expected to happen by January 7.
With the Magic looking to go youth, the 34-year old Turkoglu has become dispensable component of the team. In fact, the Magic tried to shop the Turkish big man, but his current contract ($12 million this season) scared off teams.
"The date in January is significant because all non-guaranteed contracts become fully guaranteed on Jan. 10 and waived players have 48 hours to clear waivers. As Robbins reported, Turkoglu "no longer fits into the team's plans," and the team will officially clear him from the roster by Jan. 7 in an effort to pay only half of the $12 million owed to him this season. If the Magic waive him on Jan. 8, he will not clear waivers by the Jan. 10 deadline, and thus the Magic will be stuck with paying his entire $12 million contract," Sports Illustrated stated.
Suspended 20 games last season after testing positive for banned substance, Turkoglu has not participated in the Magic training camp or appeared in a single regular-season games.
Contenders such as the Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks and Miami Heat are expected to make a run at Turhoglu, though the Lakers provide him the best opportunity to play significant minutes on the floor.
With the Lakers deeply needing a playmaker, Turkoglu can plug that loophole because of his ability to facilitate the basketball as a 6-foot-11 point forward. Few years ago, Turkoglu was the catalyst in the Magic's remarkable playoff run that saw them facing the Lakers in the 2009 NBA Finals. Therefore, signing Turk to a one-year deal seems to be a win-win solution for both parties.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports