NBA Trade News: Los Angeles Lakers Could Sign Hedo Turkoglu Once Waived by Orlando Magic
By Lou Ramon Aguila | December 27, 2013 3:53 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers could make a run at veteran forward Hedo Turkoglu once he agrees to a buyout with the Orlando Magic.
The Lakers are still in search for talents as their key stars Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash continue to battle with their respective injuries. Last week, the Lakers signed second-year point guard Kendall Marshall to address their backcourt problems.
Still, the purple-and-gold franchise doesn't have enough firepower to make it into the top-8 of a very competitive Western Conference playoff race. With Bryant missing at least six more weeks due to an injured knee, the Lakers' playoff hope will heavily rely on ageing power forward Pau Gasol and a bunch of NBA journeymen such Kevin Young, Xavier Henry and Jodie Meeks.
Turkoglu In Hollywood?
According to Sports Illustrated Marc Weinreich, the Magic and Turkoglu have already come up with a buyout agreement and this is expected to happen by January 7.
With the Magic looking to go youth, the 34-year old Turkoglu has become dispensable component of the team. In fact, the Magic tried to shop the Turkish big man, but his current contract ($12 million this season) scared off teams.
"The date in January is significant because all non-guaranteed contracts become fully guaranteed on Jan. 10 and waived players have 48 hours to clear waivers. As Robbins reported, Turkoglu "no longer fits into the team's plans," and the team will officially clear him from the roster by Jan. 7 in an effort to pay only half of the $12 million owed to him this season. If the Magic waive him on Jan. 8, he will not clear waivers by the Jan. 10 deadline, and thus the Magic will be stuck with paying his entire $12 million contract," Sports Illustrated stated.
Suspended 20 games last season after testing positive for banned substance, Turkoglu has not participated in the Magic training camp or appeared in a single regular-season games.
Contenders such as the Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks and Miami Heat are expected to make a run at Turhoglu, though the Lakers provide him the best opportunity to play significant minutes on the floor.
With the Lakers deeply needing a playmaker, Turkoglu can plug that loophole because of his ability to facilitate the basketball as a 6-foot-11 point forward. Few years ago, Turkoglu was the catalyst in the Magic's remarkable playoff run that saw them facing the Lakers in the 2009 NBA Finals. Therefore, signing Turk to a one-year deal seems to be a win-win solution for both parties.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide