Beatles' George Harrison Refused OBE Honor Before His Death
By Jesselle Maminta | December 24, 2013 10:38 AM EST
Documents which recently surfaced revealed that George Harrison refused the Order of the British Empire (OBE) award before he died in 2001.
The Daily Mail reported that the documents they obtained show that the Beatles guitarist declined the OBE award after he was included in the New Year Honours List in 2000.
Such inclusion was suggested by the British Department of Culture, Media and Sport for his contribution in showbusiness. However, the citation did not highlight his "creative contribution to the Beatles' success," as it states, "He was a member of a band that many people would say is the best thing that Britain has ever produced, and possibly the best in the world, The Beatles."
According to Journalist Ray Connely, Harrison felt insulted over the OBE award where his fellow member Sir Paul McCartney has been granted knighthood back in 1997.
"Whoever it was who decided to offer him the OBE and not the knighthood was extraordinarily insensitive," Connely, who has been acquainted with the Beatles for a long time, said. "George would have felt insulted - and with very good reason."
As of press time, Sir Paul McCartney, Harrison's widow Olivia and son Dhani were unavailable to comment on the matter.
Harrison died of cancer in 2000. But a few days before the year 1999 ended, an intruder stabbed him inside his mansion, leaving him with lung and head injuries.
All four members of the Beatles received the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) award in 1965, but John Lennon returned his as a peace protest.
Singer Adele was the latest awardee of the MBE award, which she recently received from Prince Charles during a ceremony. She described the event as "very posh" and felt proud "to be awarded alongside such wonderful and inspirational people."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop