Beatles' George Harrison Refused OBE Honor Before His Death
By Jesselle Maminta | December 24, 2013 10:38 AM EST
Documents which recently surfaced revealed that George Harrison refused the Order of the British Empire (OBE) award before he died in 2001.
The Daily Mail reported that the documents they obtained show that the Beatles guitarist declined the OBE award after he was included in the New Year Honours List in 2000.
Such inclusion was suggested by the British Department of Culture, Media and Sport for his contribution in showbusiness. However, the citation did not highlight his "creative contribution to the Beatles' success," as it states, "He was a member of a band that many people would say is the best thing that Britain has ever produced, and possibly the best in the world, The Beatles."
According to Journalist Ray Connely, Harrison felt insulted over the OBE award where his fellow member Sir Paul McCartney has been granted knighthood back in 1997.
"Whoever it was who decided to offer him the OBE and not the knighthood was extraordinarily insensitive," Connely, who has been acquainted with the Beatles for a long time, said. "George would have felt insulted - and with very good reason."
As of press time, Sir Paul McCartney, Harrison's widow Olivia and son Dhani were unavailable to comment on the matter.
Harrison died of cancer in 2000. But a few days before the year 1999 ended, an intruder stabbed him inside his mansion, leaving him with lung and head injuries.
All four members of the Beatles received the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) award in 1965, but John Lennon returned his as a peace protest.
Singer Adele was the latest awardee of the MBE award, which she recently received from Prince Charles during a ceremony. She described the event as "very posh" and felt proud "to be awarded alongside such wonderful and inspirational people."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet