Six Babies Die In China From Hepatitis B Injections
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 24, 2013 9:36 AM EST
China has recorded that six babies died after receiving hepatitis B vaccines. The vaccination formed part of the government's drive to immunize its citizens against the liver disease.
The deaths occurred in the southern province of Guangdong, south-central province of Hunan and the south-west province of Sichuan.
The hepatitis B vaccine injections were made by Shenzhen-based Biokangtai, Xinhua News reported. On Friday, the country's top health, food and drug authorities issued a circular ordering the suspension of the use of Biokangtai vaccines. Biokangtai is the exclusive contributor of hepatitis B vaccine for Shenzhen's free vaccination program.
"Why was this allowed onto the market? The government needs to come clean about this," one Weibo user wrote.
Many netizens called on the national government to be transparent on this latest health issue.
Chinese health officials have started investigating the matter.
"In general, hepatitis B vaccine is known to be safe and effective," Helen Yu, Beijing-based communications officer for the World Health Organization in China, told Bloomberg.
"We are confident in the ability of CFDA to conduct a thorough investigation."
The sixth baby from Shenzhen who died from hepatitis B vaccine reportedly died 70 minutes after receiving the vaccine.
"The baby was suddenly in a critical condition. We immediately carried out emergency treatment and tried our best, but the baby did not survive." He Yiping, deputy director of Nanwan People's Hospital in Shenzhen, said.
Xinhua News cited the unidentified father telling doctors his child was in very good condition shortly after his birth on Tuesday morning in a hospital, before the vaccine was given.
Timeline Of Baby Deaths
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Indonesia Uses Russian-Built Fighter Jets In Chasing For Australian Plane
- Move Over, Jeremy Meeks; Brazil Has A Handsome Crook With 39 Murders On Record
- Islamic State: Aussie Terrorism Suspect Was In Same Video When Runaway Teenager Threatened PM Abbott
- Islamic State: From Beheading Men, IS Moves To Stoning Adulteress To Death
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’