Six Babies Die In China From Hepatitis B Injections
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | December 24, 2013 9:36 AM EST
China has recorded that six babies died after receiving hepatitis B vaccines. The vaccination formed part of the government's drive to immunize its citizens against the liver disease.
The deaths occurred in the southern province of Guangdong, south-central province of Hunan and the south-west province of Sichuan.
The hepatitis B vaccine injections were made by Shenzhen-based Biokangtai, Xinhua News reported. On Friday, the country's top health, food and drug authorities issued a circular ordering the suspension of the use of Biokangtai vaccines. Biokangtai is the exclusive contributor of hepatitis B vaccine for Shenzhen's free vaccination program.
"Why was this allowed onto the market? The government needs to come clean about this," one Weibo user wrote.
Many netizens called on the national government to be transparent on this latest health issue.
Chinese health officials have started investigating the matter.
"In general, hepatitis B vaccine is known to be safe and effective," Helen Yu, Beijing-based communications officer for the World Health Organization in China, told Bloomberg.
"We are confident in the ability of CFDA to conduct a thorough investigation."
The sixth baby from Shenzhen who died from hepatitis B vaccine reportedly died 70 minutes after receiving the vaccine.
"The baby was suddenly in a critical condition. We immediately carried out emergency treatment and tried our best, but the baby did not survive." He Yiping, deputy director of Nanwan People's Hospital in Shenzhen, said.
Xinhua News cited the unidentified father telling doctors his child was in very good condition shortly after his birth on Tuesday morning in a hospital, before the vaccine was given.
Timeline Of Baby Deaths
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]